Author Topic: PRITCHARDS HUGH STREET BANGOR  (Read 349 times)

Offline Bangoraye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PRITCHARDS HUGH STREET BANGOR
« on: Monday 14 March 22 09:40 GMT (UK) »
IT appears that Hugh Street, Hirael, Bangor, Caernarvonshire, has been mistakenly transcribed in the 1921 Census as High Street. Can anybody else please confirm this to be true?
My maternal great grandparents are listed at 10 High Street but I think that the Find My Past staff digitising hard copies of the document from the National Archives mistook a "u" for an "i".
David Thomas Pritchard and his wife Ellen and their children Tommy and Jane I think lived at 10 Hugh Street, Hirael, Bangor, in 1921. I didn't know there was a Hugh Street in Bangor until recently as it had been demolished as slum dwellings before I was born in 1961.
I recently noticed a long thread of posts on here about Pritchards in Hugh Street, Bangor, and would be hugely grateful if anyone could help me with my search for relatives. They were slate workers and miners who I suspect were badly bruised in the 1911 Penrhyn quarry strike and out of work but still paying rent to the Pennants. A brilliant book called Sibols: Bobl dod Hirael, published by Gwynedd County Council documents a lot of this strife and struggle.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PRITCHARDS HUGH STREET BANGOR
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 22 11:01 GMT (UK) »
David Thomas Pritchard and his wife Ellen and their children Tommy and Jane I think lived at 10 Hugh Street, Hirael, Bangor, in 1921

Searching the 1921 transcription index by surname and address does seem to indicate that Thomas Davis Pritchard, Ellen, Thomas and 1 other are listed as at 10 High Street. You'd need to purchase the image (and look at the next page) to confirm whether or not it is actually Hugh Street.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bangoraye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 22 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Shaun,
Thank you for your reply.
I went to the National Archives to view and photograph both documents.
Many mistakes in transcribing handwriting have been made, my friend.
Me reporting this is just me until I discover that others, or perhaps, many others are finding the same thing.
I was unable to trace another relative because the final S in the surname had been left off by mistake.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 22 13:32 GMT (UK) »

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 22 14:31 GMT (UK) »
So you knew the answer before you asked the question?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bangoraye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 09:49 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ,
I didn't ask that question.
You offered me information which I already knew.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 09:53 GMT (UK) »
There are several trees on Ancestry for Thomas Davies Pritchard, one going back to pre-1800, and includes a picture of son, Thomas. Baptism seems to have been mistranscribed as Thomas David. The tree is by a descendant of daughter, Jane.

Later, he lived in Fountain Street.

David