Author Topic: Probate Registry site's response to my feedback  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Registry site's response to my feedback
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 20 March 22 16:08 GMT (UK) »
On 5th March I sent the text below (along with the screen snip) to their contact address - needless to say I am still awaiting a reply.

I am trying to order a copy of the will for someone who died on 3rd January 1944, probate 17th March 1944.

See snip below showing the error your system is giving me - it shows 25 03 2007 as an example so clearly 03 is valid for the month - and then says 03 is not a valid month when I input that!

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 20 March 22 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Keep them coming!!  I wonder who actually tested this release before they went live?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 20 March 22 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Re Darnity and 03 not a valid month.

I think their "system" is deeply flawed,  but I wonder if the "03" issue could be overcome.  I notice that the numbers in boxes are all LEFT justified in their boxes EXCEPT for 03.  It seems to be centre justified. 

Fingers crossed.  I hope I am explaining it okay.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 20 March 22 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to order a copy of the will for someone who died on 3rd January 1944, probate 17th March 1944.

See snip below showing the error your system is giving me - it shows 25 03 2007 as an example so clearly 03 is valid for the month - and then says 03 is not a valid month when I input that!

Darnity, I suspect you have a leading space in the month value (ie " 03") which is tripping the error. Looking at the javascript they're using for the validation, it's very simplistic and simply checks the value is numeric and between 1 and 31. It doesn't trim the value before validating it, so a leading space would result in the error.

It's just another example of poor coding on the website, affecting the usability.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 21 March 22 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, good spot about the positioning of 03 - I'll try again making sure I don't put in any spaces.

Thanks again!
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 00:56 GMT (UK) »
I have now completed my letter to the Chief Exec of HMCTS.  The links to both threads have been included so have now asked the moderator to lock this post.

I will let you know when I hear anything
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 22:23 BST (UK) »
The following reply to my letter was received by email today

Your complaint about our service

Thank you for your complaint of 27th March regarding the Probate Search website.  Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner.

I'm sorry that your experience of the new website has fallen short of your expectations.

We've liaised with the service provider on your behalf who have responded your concerns as follows:

Replacing the original system and creating a back up

The previous system, whilst perceived as working, had many shortcomings that were complained about by many users. The decision to deploy a new platform however was forced by the vendor of the software making the platform end of life.

The new development of the new system has been focused on making the web front end meet Government standards (unlike the previous system) and to provide a new platform for future enhancement of the service.

Concerns about new system design 

One of the major complaints of the old system was the user interface when manually ordering a document. Not having the calendar page and the form easily accessible together caused mistakes and dissatisfaction.

The new system fixes that by giving a side by side view. We have had user feedback similar to your comments.

To fix this, the design team then implemented scroll bars within the window to allow you to move around the page viewer to get to the information you need to enter.

Calendar Searches

The calendar pages from the old system captured the first surname on the page, a page index number (starting from the first page in 1858, ending on the last page of 1995); the limited query made by the old system looked up the surname, then paginated the response by returning that page, pages before and pages after, then sorting them by the page number.

The new system is based on more modern technology (ElasticSearch and MongoDB) to provide a better platform for future development. Unfortunately, there were issues in getting this new search engine to emulate what the old one did, but it is necessary so that we can implement some of the enhancement requests made of the previous platform.

In April we finalised the deployment of a full text index search of the documents. With this release we now look at all the pages within a given year range (in your example 1965) and will pull out all of the pages that have in the text (Hugh Owen Roberts) currently this does return 130 pages; we are working on both the search algorithm and the user interface to further narrow this down in future releases.

This however has enabled users to search for names within the documents that don't appear as the first entry. Something we have not been able to do before.

The new platform allows us to take the user feedback and where valid make changes to the platform and deploy quickly, thus tailoring the platform to the largest need groups. Again something that hasn't been available previously.

Once again, I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with the new website but I hope that the points above address your concerns.

If you're unhappy with my response

HMCTS operates a Complaints Handling Procedure and should you be dissatisfied with my response please write to Miss A Lee by replying to this email, requesting a review of your complaint and providing details of why you're not happy.

Yours sincerely,

Ms S Craig
Complaints Investigator
Courts and Tribunal Service Centre (Probate), HM Courts and Tribunals Service | HMCTS |

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 23:58 BST (UK) »
Carole, Did you find an improvement on your initial search query or any other searches you'd made which returned a 'No Find'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 19 May 22 00:20 BST (UK) »
No nil finds but it returns too many searches totally outside the alphabetical request.  I have just sent this reply

Thank you for your reply

Can I suggest you try the following search which may help you better understand the problems:

John Fowler Ross died 1989 Manchester - I am checking if he left a will.  I have no other information

I input surname Ross and christian name John plus year of death

Search tells me 176 pages have been found.  However - first page is BAIN & it then proceeds with other surnames starting with B - and onwards.  I asked for ROSS!! 

Can you explain how BAIN has become ROSS??