Author Topic: NELSON family of North Shields  (Read 503 times)

Offline sbell95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NELSON family of North Shields
« on: Monday 14 March 22 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have been trying to puzzle out the following family for some time...

Father: John NELSON
Mother: Bridget nee McKUEN/McCUEN/McHUEN (?)

They seem to have been Roman Catholic, as they baptised four children at St Cuthbert's in North Shields (Thomas 1861 [died same year], Anna 1865, Margaret 1868 and Thomas Robert 1876). I have copies of all of these from FamilySearch.

My ancestor is Thomas Robert, born 19 Dec 1875. I have his birth certificate, and Bridget's 1905 death (see both attached), but no other GRO records. The surname BLUCK seems to come up a bit (listed as godparents to Thomas' 1861 baptism, and recorded as Bridget's surname on my Thomas' marriage) - but I can't seem to find any link yet.

I have found the family in scattered census records over the years. John and Bridget don't seem to have formally married, and they were apparently quite poor. John's occupation is recorded as dock labourer on Thomas' 1875 birth, but elsewhere he is a coal miner or a hawker/dealer.

Any information about them is much appreciated... especially working out where John and Bridget came from, their parents, John's death, etc. And what happened to Thomas' siblings...!

Thank you!

Sarah
Sarah Bell – Australia
View my tree on Wikitree – https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Bell-Family-Tree-25846

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: NELSON family of North Shields
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 22 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1874 which may account for no birth registrations for the earlier children
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 22 23:32 GMT (UK) »
You haven'y included any details of where or when John & Bridget were born

According to the 1881 entry - both were 55 and b Gateshead which means Bridget was 50 when she had Robert Thomas??
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sbell95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I did mean that although I haven't purchased the certificates, I have at least found Ann (born 1864) registered at GRO. And first Thomas' death in 1861. So they did register at least some of their BDM events.

I haven't included much else about John & Bridget because I simply do not know and/or the information is inconsistently recorded. They are both 55 and from Gateshead in the 1881 census. They are living in a lodging house at that point. I don't think I've confidently found John in any other census.

I have Bridget and 3-year-old Margaret in 1871 in the household of William Irvin(?), she is 40 and born North Shields. Bridget is later in the Tynemouth workhouse in 1901, age 75 and born North Shields. So she really has an age range of 1826-1831, so yes probably in her mid to late 40s when she had my ancestor Thomas Robert! But again, missing the 1891 census for her.
Sarah Bell – Australia
View my tree on Wikitree – https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Bell-Family-Tree-25846

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 01:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm having the same problem with census info

Offline sbell95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 01:39 GMT (UK) »
The only other residence clue I have for Bridget is her son Thomas' Boer War registration in 1896, where she is listed as living at Melbourne Place, North Shields. But no idea if she was living there in 1891, or even the specific address to narrow it down in the census.
Sarah Bell – Australia

Offline sbell95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Just found a possible 1851 census entry for a Bridget MACKUN(?) born Gateshead abt 1831, fruiterer, living in MITCALF(?) household:

Bridget Mackun age 20 lodger b Gateshead, Durham
HO107/2409/360 p 5
other household members Thomas Mitcalf, Mary Mitcalf, Mary A Mitcalf, Robert Mitcalf, Bridget Mackun
Sarah Bell – Australia

Offline sbell95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 02:49 GMT (UK) »
And a possible baptism for a Bridget McCUAN in 1831 in Newcastle, parents Robert and Elizabeth(?):

Bridget Mccuan bapt  29 January 1831 Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland
Parents: Robert Mccuan & Elizabeth Mcconnell
Sarah Bell – Australia

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 10:19 GMT (UK) »
1841 - look at Robert McKeow aged 30 with Bridget McKeow 10  if using Ancestry.  Entry is on the top of the second half of the page but Roberts entry is repeated as the last entry on the first half   

Piece 820  Book 13 Folio 40 Page 30