Author Topic: Information on Seamen  (Read 655 times)

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on Seamen
« on: Tuesday 15 March 22 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone can tell me best place to consider trying to find someone who may have gone to sea.  I can find this ancestor on the 1851 census as a 13 yr old scholar.  Can't find him on 1861 census, nor can I be sure if he married?  His brother went to sea and ended up here in Australia.
Best places to check or consider would be most helpful.
John Waterland DUNCAN born 10 Dec 1837 Wakefield - Yorkshire. 
Thanks so much for reading my question.
Janette
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Seamen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Well I don't know if it helps you but there is this record:-

Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857

The transcript has John Duncan, born Wakefield in 1837.  The series is BT116, piece no. 29, date range 1853 to 1857.

The original image shows John Duncan born at Wakefield.  Age 19.  Under 1853 column out is what looks like Vivid Ly?? - the second word is not clear, possibly Lyme?  Under the 1856 column out is what looks like os.10.10 Albion London

No other information shown on that record.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Out column 1856 - OS = ordinary seaman. The voyage date = 10/10/1856. Ship name = ALBION. Port of departure London.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 22:04 GMT (UK) »
There were over 20 vessels around in 1856/57 with the Name ALBION. I did a very quick search which would suggest the ship your man sailed on was the vessel who's official number was 24752.
If you wish to take your research further. Assuming they have survived. The first 1857 Logbook and Crew Agreement of ALBION can be obtained from the British National Archive. Logbooks and Crew Agreements are stored by the date the ship in question returned to a UK port.
Just hit the "Request a Copy" button and ask for a quote.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4069397
regards
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Seaweed, Hmac and Girl Guide.  I am excited to have these leads, as this man has been a real brick wall for me, and having a middle name as Waterland I would have thought I would have no trouble finding him, however middle name might not be asked for back then.
  May I ask, would ordinary seaman, or any seaman for that matter have records of leaving, i.e. discharge papers or were they only discharged from each ship they sailed on?  There is some vague family story somebody got caught up in the Boxer Rebellion in China, however if he was still sailing then he would have been around 60 years - if still alive was 60 still an age to "sail" ?
Thanks so much
J
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 13:13 GMT (UK) »
  There is some vague family story somebody got caught up in the Boxer Rebellion in China, however if he was still sailing then he would have been around 60 years - if still alive was 60 still an age to "sail" ?

In answer to your question. Simple answer. Yes! No pension in those days. I have come across old sailors who were well into their 80's and still at sea. Albeit on steamships
I have recently corresponded with a person on another forum who's ancestor was still at sea age 72! OK. He was a Master on sailing ships, so not clinging to rigging in a force 10!
An ordinary seaman would usually obtain a less strenuous position in is old age, such as Cook or Carpenter.
Re my last post.
If you do decide to ask TNA for a quote, be sure to ask for the Crew Agreement and Logbook of ALBION, Official number 24752 Otherwise they will quote you for the complete contents of the piece, which may contain  the LB's & CAs of sixty to seventy individual ship. Twenty odd with the name ALBION.

regards
SW

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 16:27 GMT (UK) »
May I ask, would ordinary seaman, or any seaman for that matter have records of leaving, i.e. discharge papers or were they only discharged from each ship they sailed on?

For this time period which covers the Third Register of Seamen, his only record is held in BT 116 so no central record of ships apart from what is already shown. So your only option would be to obtain the crew list for each known ship that he sailed on.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO