Author Topic: An enjoyable day  (Read 616 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
An enjoyable day
« on: Tuesday 15 March 22 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I've just spent some time filling in a corner of one of my trees.

The grandfather of the person at the root of this tree was married twice, and the first wife's family have proved interesting. None of the trees on Ancestry mention her, though he was a widower when he married the mother of his children. He was born and spent most of his life in Derby.

The 1871 census gave the best clue. He is with his first wife, who comes from Flushing, Cornwall, across the water from Falmouth. The "daughter" is actually from her first marriage.

It turns out that they married at Alvechurch near Gosport in 1866, and the marriage has him in the 62nd Regiment. She is a widow called Mary Jane Liewis (sic), and her father is Stephen Lewis, Gunner R.N. John Richardson was missing from the 1861 census, but the Army Lists show him with his regiment in Nova Scotia.

So I then found Mary Jane in Cornwall in 1841, with her mother Sarah, but her father is not there. I traced her marriage to Peter Liewis in 1857. She was widowed by the next census.

Then I traced Mary Jane's baptism (thank you Cornwall-OPC !) along with half a dozen siblings.

On the offchance, I searched for one of the children in 1851. Stephen was home! Age 71 and born in Wales.

Unexpectedly, the family are still together in 1861. Stephen is 82 and a superannuated gunner. His place of birth is narrowed down to Newport, Pembrokeshire. There are no likely baptisms around 1780, but there are two in 1788 at Nevern, east of Newport.

But Stephen had a pension. Search through the records on FindMyPast. Without the background knowledge most make little sense to me, but in ADM 29 there is a Stephen Lewis who is, for most of his service, a gunner.

Just after he becomes a gunner, THAT is what his occupation becomes at the baptism of his next child.

I look up the ships on which he served. Two are Falmouth Packets. It has to be the same chap.

The first entry on the sheet is for HMS Malta in 1811, and gives his age as 24. That's pretty close for a baptism in 1788.

Also on the sheet is a date of 22 June 71. Hang on, that's AFTER the census! Look for him and he is living with a daughter-in-law, in Southampton, claiming to be 93, which is about 10 years older than his real age. Maybe 35 years in the navy made him feel that old!

I must say that I enjoyed the search, and especially the finding, knowing that others had overlooked things. This little corner is not a relative, and is not even the direct line of the person I've been researching, but it covers a different part of the country, and different records too. I know there's more to find too!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: An enjoyable day
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 10:49 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already done so Andrew, you might want to take a look in the newspapers, as there appears to a number of references to Stephen. Many items about his death but some earlier ones too.

Attached is the one from the Hampshire Advertiser, 23 May 1883, which had more details than most of the others I looked at; including a birth date.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 10:53 GMT (UK) »
That's a very satisfying day!  I too sometimes move away from my direct line and pursue an offshoot.  It is interesting to research another part of the country, finding information about places previously unheard of.  I travelled down one such rabbit hole months ago and looked at a man with 3 wives, only to find that one of them had had 3 husbands, none bigamously though. I was able to find burials and along with some death notices, an inquest report and a report of a mistreated wife in the newspapers on Find My Past, everything fitted together and made sense.  I was quite disappointed that one interesting lady wasn't closely related to me - my tree program calculated that she was the "wife of the husband of the wife of the 2nd cousin twice removed". :)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I just had to stop skimming along the subject headings to congratulate both of you in your determination to find your quarry (and what interesting quarries they turned out to be!!!!)

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 15:23 GMT (UK) »
  You can have a lot of fun and learn a lot disappearing down a rabbit hole!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 19:50 GMT (UK) »
The "Centenarian" bit has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

His record says age 24 in 1811. Still old enough to have served at Trafalgar, but such a thing would surely have been mentioned in ADM29. He was an AB when he joined, so he was probably on some commercial vessel before then.

He was discharged from the navy in 1847, when by his later reckoning, he would have been 70.

In 1851 he claimed to be 71, then in later censuses 82, 93 and 103.

Sadly none of the extant baptisms in the Newport area line up well with the June birthday, and the Newport registers have a gap from 1771 to 1797.

96 is still a fine age for the time!

And my mum turns 94 this week! :)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.