Author Topic: Samuel Graham Nesbitt's possible death record, 1942  (Read 652 times)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Samuel Graham Nesbitt's possible death record, 1942
« on: Tuesday 15 March 22 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Having searched in https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ for a death record for Samuel Graham Nesbitt, I have come across one that could be him. He was born about 1852 so the age would be about right and it is the only one that I could find for his name. The trouble is that I am uncertain about all the wording and when I tried to save the image, notification appeared on the screen that it is prohibited to do so. Also, I have discovered that I can only look again at the image for 72 hours after having paid for the credits.

Is it at all possible that someone may be going to GRONI that could check just the one detail, please?

This is what I have copied from the site:

15th October 1942

Workhouse RD

Widower crossed out

Married

91 years

Labourer

Senility certified

B. Robinson Occupier Workhouse

Twenty seventh October 1942

T. A. Spence Registrar

Registration number
D/1942/9/1002/48/14
Registration district
Armagh(pre-1973 Q4)
Registration sub-district
Armagh
Deceased name(s)
Samuel Graham Nesbitt
It may say Lurgan after his name
Sex of deceased
Male
Status
Married
Date of death
15th October 1942
Age at death
District of death
Armagh(pre-1973 Q4)
Marginal notes
One T.A. Spence

Registration details
Deceased details
Additional details

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Graham Nesbitt's possible death record, 1942
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what is unclear to you but the "Lurgan" after his name would refer to his usual residence but the death took place in the Workhouse.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what is unclear to you but the "Lurgan" after his name would refer to his usual residence but the death took place in the Workhouse.

Thank you. It is the "Lurgan" that I was unsure about, with a squiggle before it.

I did wonder why he would have been in a workhouse - but maybe it could have been used as a hospital rather than the previous "usual" use for a workhouse?

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 22 11:36 GMT (UK) »
In 1929 the Lurgan Workhouse site was repurposed and it became the Lurgan and Portadown District Hospital, it joined the National Health Service in 1948, evolving to become Lurgan Hospital.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 22 22:59 GMT (UK) »
In 1929 the Lurgan Workhouse site was repurposed and it became the Lurgan and Portadown District Hospital, it joined the National Health Service in 1948, evolving to become Lurgan Hospital.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I wonder why the death registration did not state the Lurgan and Portadown District Hospital, rather than the workhouse.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 22 04:08 GMT (UK) »

Thank you, that is very helpful. I wonder why the death registration did not state the Lurgan and Portadown District Hospital, rather than the workhouse.

I guess it was still known by the locals as the workhouse.  Many had hospitals associated with them going back and you will find notices and death certs with that on them.  Possibly during the war they had may have had older staff on so that the younger ones could enlist and they may have only ever heard it referred to as the Workhouse.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • River Shannon to Lough Derg at Killaloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 22 07:52 GMT (UK) »

Registration number
D/1942/9/1002/48/14
Registration district
Armagh(pre-1973 Q4)
Armagh
Deceased name(s)
Samuel Graham Nesbitt

Samuel Graham Nesbitt died at the Workhouse in Armagh (later to become Tower Hill Hospital).

http://www.history-armagh.org/dox/210420111350.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 March 22 12:09 GMT (UK) »

Registration number
D/1942/9/1002/48/14
Registration district
Armagh(pre-1973 Q4)
Armagh
Deceased name(s)
Samuel Graham Nesbitt

Samuel Graham Nesbitt died at the Workhouse in Armagh (later to become Tower Hill Hospital).

http://www.history-armagh.org/dox/210420111350.pdf

Thank you, that is very helpful.