Author Topic: Bertrude Joyce Gordon (also posted on Hampshire board. See link in main body)  (Read 353 times)

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
I have Bertrude Joyce Gordon born 1916 Medway district Kent. She was known to the family as Joyce rather than Bertrude but gives her name as Gertrude on 1939 register, Joyce on 1921 and Bertrude Joyce on marriage record.
GRO gives MMN as Armstrong. First name is Mabel. She is born in Hamspshire around 1889 and lived in Lymington, Hampshire either around or after her husband’s death.
I know that bertrude’s dad died young and had certainly died by 1921.
Mabel remarried to a Cecil someone, not sure when but after 1921, and moved to South Africa at some point with him.

What I can’t find is a marriage between a Gordon and Mabel Armstrong.

I did find a Mabel Armstrong living in Carisbrooke Isle of Wight aged 2 with her mother Margaret Broonan and brother Charles Armstrong plus other siblings in 1891.  1901 she’s Mabel G Armstrong with mum Margaret Armstrong this time, and in 1911 she’s living in Lymington with her brother Charles Ffolliot Armstrong and his family. Don’t know whether this is her but it looks likely.

This is for a friend’s tree and her family are looking to see if they can find Bertrude’s birth certificate to see if it has her father’s name. But wondered if anyone can spot the Gordon/Armstrong marriage in the meantime. I can’t see any other Gordon/Armstrong children on GRO so am guessing the marriage is around 1915.

Will post this on the Hampshire page also and then add a link to both, so that people don’t duplicate work.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=860157.new#new

Many thanks.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bertrude Joyce Gordon (also posted on Hampshire board. See link in main body)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Reply posted on duplicate thread
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bertrude Joyce Gordon (also posted on Hampshire board. See link in main body)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Locked to prevent duplication of effort
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea