Author Topic: Death/Obit Margaret Brock (née Paterson), London, Ontario  (Read 669 times)

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death/Obit Margaret Brock (née Paterson), London, Ontario
« on: Wednesday 16 March 22 03:00 GMT (UK) »
I realise that this may be a long shot but I am seeking an obit or any information whatsoever regarding an elusive relation, notably my grandfather’s first cousin.

Margaret Paterson, born on 27 July 1912 in Glasgow, Scotland to John Paterson and Marjory Carmichael McLaren, emigrated to Canada with her grandmother on the SS Montcalm in 1926, settling in London, Middlesex, Ontario.

On 5th September 1936, Margaret married Thomas Henry Brock, whom she subsequently divorced in 1949. Her certificate of marriage cites her occupation as supply clerk and her residential address as 10 Adelaide St, London, Ontario. I have been unable to ascertain if there was any issue from this marriage. Thomas Henry Brock died in 1994 in London, Ontario, and is interred in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

That is all the information I have regarding Margaret Brock (née Paterson). However, I am hopeful that she retained her married surname and that an obit was published in the London free Press or other local newspaper.

Any help or suggestions would be most greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Rodeo

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death/Obit Margaret Brock (née Paterson), London, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you could check with the public library in London, Middlesex, Ontario to see if they have an obituary for Thomas Henry Brock.  Perhaps check with the cemetery to see if they have any other information on him. His second wife Elsie predeceased him (1920 - 1986)  so they may have a record of any relation that may be mentioned in the Cemetery records.

A little background that might help us locate Margaret - she was only 37 years when divorced so chances are she may have remarried.  Canada has very strict privacy laws, there is no BMD index.

This looks like Sarah Maclaren (1862 - 1945) husband Duncan (1860 - 1923) and Mary Ann Maclaren (1896 - 1987)

Parents of Sarah :- William Scott and mother Katherine Mashiff.
Informant for Sarah was Mary Ann Maclaren - 67 Adelaide Street, London. Ontario.

FIND A GRAVE

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/217559914/sarah-scott-maclaren

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 19:27 GMT (UK) »
A bit of a story behind Thomas Henry Brock. He was charged with "motor manslaughter" as per newspaper article for a hit and run accident on December 22, 1939.  He was 24 at the time and was convicted of "dangerous driving" and sentenced to 18 months.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Sandra and Eileen, for your replies.

Sandra, I will indeed contact the London Public Library to see if they have an obituary for Thomas Henry Brock. Yes, given Margaret's age when she divorced, it's possible that she remarried but I've exhausted all the Canadian marriage records on Ancestry without finding anything definitive. I assumed that, if she did remarry, it would have been as Margaret Brock because the maiden surname of the bride isn't required on Ontario marriage certificates (merely the maiden surnames of the bride's and bridegroom's mothers). Is that correct?

I do have that memorial for Sarah McLaren and her daughter, Mary Ann McLaren (later MacLaren in Canada). Marjory McLaren abandoned her husband, John Paterson, and daughter, Margaret, in 1921 when she travelled to Larchmont, New York, to take up a position as a domestic. Presumably, Margaret remained with her father and paternal grandmother, Jessie Paterson, in Cedar Street, Glasgow. Jessie Paterson died in 1926, at which time Margaret, age 13, went to Canada with her maternal grandmother, Sarah McLaren, and her first cousin, William McLaren, age 15, to live with Mary Ann McLaren who had emigrated there in 1921. Margaret's father, John Paterson, died at the age of 42 in 1929 in Glasgow. Rather sad story, it seems.

Yikes, Eileen! Motor manslaughter for a hit and run accident? In what newspaper did that article appear?

Thanks again to both of you.

All the best,

Rodeo

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 22:10 GMT (UK) »
It appeared in several newspapers throughout Ontario including the Toronto Star.  He apparently was drunk at the time and then later told police that his car had been stolen.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 22:13 GMT (UK) »
And Ontario marriages are only available online up until about 1940.  The later ones have not been released by the government.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Eileen. What an appalling story regarding the hit and run accident. I'll see if I can get a copy of that article from the London Public Library.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 22:31 GMT (UK) »

Cutting which may be of interest.

North Bay Nugget North Bay, Ontario, Canada
22 Jan 1940, Mon    Page 3

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 22:33 GMT (UK) »

The Expositor Brantford, Ontario, Canada
22 Jan 1940, Mon    Page 2

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/97765985/thomas-henry-brock-22-january-1940/

Sandra