Author Topic: Genealogy trashed by DNA  (Read 1605 times)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy trashed by DNA
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 March 22 04:28 GMT (UK) »
What does NPE mean

I just recently discovered via 2 persons DNA results that one of my maternal lines is wrong for one of my ancestors, however for her siblings the maternal line I have is correct.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 March 22 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Non Paternity Event - the expected father was not the father.

This could also be the result for an adopted child.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 March 22 12:42 GMT (UK) »
If you choose the legal parents as preferred option the birth parents will not show on your main tree unless someone searching a profile happens to click on alternative parents .

If you want to see DNA thru lines you have to put birth parents as preferred option .

You can change preferences for example when I was researching the adoptive family I put them as preferred parents ...I thought there might be a family link as is often the case in informal adoptions .
Found one distant descendant in South Africa!

Then changed settings back to birth parents !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 March 22 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I can well understand your feelings. I recently discovered that the entire paternal side of my tree was invalid. More than half the time spent over the past 18 years seemed overnight to have been such a waste of my life and not a small amount of money. However, with a bit of perspective I decided that I was happy with the content of that side of my tree and that it is therefore relevant to thousands of other people who do descend from the line, not least my "former" cousins. So the real question now is how to bequeath it to them to use when, at the moment, none of them is a genealogist. 

That's not such a big problem and if they choose never to use it, at least it won't have been me who dumps it. I will however add, that what was formerly a somewhat obsessive quest of mine to get past a brick wall on that side of the tree has turned into a complete lack of interest to develop it any more. My obsession now is to see how to start a new paternal line and that is proving tough right now.

Offline Colleen Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 March 22 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Brigidmac. That is very useful advice. And TonyV this is how my siblings and I have felt with the DNA shocks we have received.  We definitely don't want to throw all that away.
Can I ask if people in this situation have contacted relatives in the new paternal line? I feel awkward about changing my tree when I haven't even confirmed it with the close DNA relatives I have recently discovered. I'm relying on messaging through Ancestry and MyHeritage, but often people don't look at those for months on end.  And I'm reticent about trawling through social media. I feel like I need a Code of Ethics!

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 March 22 23:33 GMT (UK) »
You can try, but don’t expect much then you won’t be disappointed.  Also be aware that those that answer may not know either.
I was lucky that one of the first people I contacted was able to tell me my great grandparents so I started building a seperate tree from them to see what I could find.  She had an NPE connecting her to that family too.
I found quite a few people who didn’t know a parent either through an NPE or father disappeared when they were young.  It is a challenge.
You need to be careful how you word your contact too.  Along the lines of I am interested to explore where we connect, rather than mention that there is a NPE.  Be prepared to do a lot of sleuthing with the information you are given.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 March 22 06:36 GMT (UK) »
This is when I started to realize there was a NPE on my maternal line.

Quote "
Hi Mick I'm having fun trying to work out How Jean 42cm 5 seg And you 36cm 3seg fit into tree shared matches bring up jilletts Jean brings alot more share matches any ideas? Cheers Thomas"

I think he was excited as he has a NPE also and was hoping they was the same person, that is not the case.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:20 GMT (UK) »
i contacted some of my mothers closest matches one was very surprised that their grandmothers had same names and that his father was not actually an only child.

another match was able to share a photo of their mutual latvian great grandfather and i was able to share the research pre his emigration to USA .
one has shared her dna results so i can check on mutual matches

even if you have guessed the connection if the non paternal event is through the matches direct parent its better to word it carefully or contact a shared match of theirs first from a younger generation if possible .
good luck ..do come back to this thread and let us know any progress
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 March 22 14:15 GMT (UK) »
It is very saddening, and to find years of researching a line has all been for nothing. Makes you wonder if you should just throw all your research in the bin.

Goes to show that cuckoldry was just as rife in our ancestors days as it is now. Finding out through DNA that great gran, or great, great gran had a few flings with other men while married to her husband.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain