Author Topic: Orange Family Surname  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Markw86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Family Surname
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 19:22 GMT (UK) »
So doing some research on Alice lynham I've came across a few bits. So after john h orange she went to Bradford and met Albert eaves then wed an Herbert cockaday Marsham and then George ablett. But I have also stumbled across a marriage to a Frederick Howlett in Norwich also. Does any of that sound familiar

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Nearly going off-topic - BUT - Tickettyboo - isn't the term "Firtle" rather than "firkle" =

Verb. To appear busy but without actually achieving anything, to tinker, to do a task which is seen as a waste of time. E.g."He's been firtling in the shed all morning." Northern use? Noun.

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

hey you! Others may be able to spell but my usage and spelling is firkle :-) I am way too old to change my ways and terminology now  and to be fair my 'firkling' does sometimes produce results !
Boo

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hey, ho!  At least we are still alive!   :-*
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline DownUnder33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 11 January 24 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes my mums name starts with a p.
With regards to Alice this was my mum's grandmother. She left the children and her husband and fled to bradford where she tried to remarry under a false name. At some point she returned and lived with her brother Stephen but my mum stated she never contacted her children or was heard from. Her children were raised by their father and my mum referred to her granny orange raising them also. Maud was john h oranges sister and lived with him for a period until she wed. I met maud quite often and she had some great tales to tell. My side of the family now unfortunately has no living male oranges left now to carry on the name but i do belive there are few left around the newcastle area.
Thats unfortunate to hear what Alice did, no contact upon her return. It seems to be a trait for her, as my father didnt know her at all, and doesnt like speaking about it.

I'm 99% sure that Alice and my grandfather Herbert Marsham didnt marry though. However she did marry Albert Eaves, for which I was going to track a wedding certificate. I had this happening in Middlesborough though?

The Frederick Howlett one is new, hadnt seen that. Do you have a link to the record at all?

Also with your mother being P, that would make her and I Half Cousins, and we would be Half Cousins Once Removed.

Might be easier to message via email though if you'd like, that way we can mention any living relatives.

Moderator comment: edited to remove personal e-mail address in accordance with RootsChat general practice and guidance, to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thanks

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 11 January 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
So doing some research on Alice lynham I've came across a few bits. So after john h orange she went to Bradford and met Albert eaves then wed an Herbert cockaday Marsham and then George ablett. But I have also stumbled across a marriage to a Frederick Howlett in Norwich also. Does any of that sound familiar
1. Eaves- Robinson (bigamous)
The GRO ref  is on Free BMD (not sure if the cert would be available, I have no idea if its restricted as it was later proved to be bigamous but worth a shot at sending for it - though it will have a cost of £11)
Marriages Q4 1939 Middlesborough 9d 1827 George W Eaves and Joyce Robinson

2. I can't find a likely entry in the Marriages index for Herbert Cockaday Marsham

3 Ablett - Lynam
The Derbyshire Times 21 April 1950, page 3 col 2

Marriages
ABLETT- Lynam
The marriage took place on Saturday April 15th at Clay Cross Parish Church between George Ablett , Mayfield, Handley Lane, Clay Cross and Alice Lynam, Newmarket Lane, Clay Cross

I checked the 1939 register for Newmarket Lane, Clay Cross and there is a Lynam family listed there. Though no Alice is showing there are two redacted entries and I checked the births for the children who are named on the 1939 register and using their MMN searched for an Alice Lynam with that MMn and there is one in the Births index so I think you can probably discount this marriage as being for 'your' Alice.

4 Please can you give me the info on the Howlett marriage (names/date/ ref) to check out as so far I am not finding that one

Boo