Author Topic: help with Cushnahan family near lisburn  (Read 531 times)

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help with Cushnahan family near lisburn
« on: Friday 18 March 22 17:29 GMT (UK) »
hi - would love some help trying to figure out the mother of my 3x great grandfather.

Thomas Cushnahan was born circa 1843. I cannot find any baptism. He married Margaret Dunphy in 1868.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11458/8210368.pdf

His father is listed as Hugh Cushnahan. I believe Hugh remarried in 1847 to Jane Wilson in a registry office. On this cert he is listed as a widower.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1847/09324/5376296.pdf

I would love some help figuring out Hugh's first wifes name. I believe Thomas was their only child.
Hugh and Jane had 4 (maybe 5) children after they married. Would appreciate any help. thanks!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help with Cushnahan family near lisburn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 22 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Just out of interest have you checked out the notation alongside the marriage entry....Margaret was 19.  The current entry looks a little skeletal compared with the others. 
I guess you can see how the couple may have met through their fathers and that is interesting!

And Hugh's father is Patrick. 

Just keep at the back of your mind the Irish naming patterns in relation to the birth of Thomas to Hugh and Mrs X.  So perhaps there were some children born before Thomas who may died or perhaps the naming patterns were not followed. 

A traditional naming pattern was often used by Irish parents until the later 19th century:
First son usually named for the father's father.
Second son usually named for the mother's father.
Third son usually named for the father.
Fourth son usually named for the father's eldest brother.

Just on the off chance that the second wife was connected/related in some way to the first or did not mind a reference to that family what were the names of the children of Hugh & Jane.....it does happen. 

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 22 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi shanreagh, thanks for the advice.  Thomas and Margaret’s marriage always confused me as it was registered twice.

(this was the second registration)
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rdh/

Hugh and Jane had the following children:

John - b1850
Patrick - b1859
Alice - 1862
Mary Hannah - 1865

i believe Patrick and Alice are named after Hugh’s parents (Patrick’s death is mentioned in the newspaper and Alice is mentioned as his wife)

as for John and Mary Hannah, i’m not sure.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 22 20:14 GMT (UK) »
also thought i'd mention that Thomas named one of his daughters Jane. following naming patterns, it'd traditonally be his mothers name. perhaps he was raised to believe that Jane was his mother?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 22 22:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a similar surname on the Isle of Man: Cosnahan.
I get my Loaghtan Lamb from Ballacosnahan farm!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 22 22:40 GMT (UK) »
very interesting  :) there are so many variations of the name!!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 22 05:56 GMT (UK) »
NB During the course of these notes I had not realised I was editing a live document ie one I had posted.  I had mentioned several links to Cushnahans in L'Derry that I later deleted.
One of them was this 'There are some Cushnahans around Carnmoney which is in Co Derry'. it should have read Carnamoney. 
Carnmoney is near Whiteabbey Co Antrim - where there are Cushnahans also!   My apologies

I am searching......where has the link to Lisburn come from? 
I can see these townlands mentioned for Cushnahans in Griffiths
Tully, Duneane, Ballyclug, Annaghmore  and two places in Shankill

Do you have a Townland around Lisburn?

Noting that Hugh's residence at the time of his 1847 marriage to Jane Wilson was Whiteabbey. He may have been working there. If so where was wee Thomas?

When Thomas married to Margaret his residence was given as Whiteabbey.
Thomas dies Mater Hospital, Belfast on 30/9/1904 and his age is given by his son in law as 58....perhaps born 1845/6.

The first marriage of Thomas took place  in Kilmore? Co Down and that may have been the bride's home. 
Hugh Cushnahan is alive aged 82 at the census in 1901 at a place called Lurgateneil in Ballyscolly and is a farmer. 
He dies aged 90 at Lurganteneal in 1904. Lurganteneil is a townland in Ballyscolly near Ballinderry, he is noted as being a stone mason. Born about 1814?

A Hugh Cosnahan is on Griffiths in 1862 as owning just over 9 acres house, office and land leased from the Marquis of Hertford at Lurganteneil. 

If that family had leased this land for some time then there is a likelihood that he may have married the daughter of a neighbour and there are only 29 of them or so to check.  However there are a couple of Thomas's - Thomas Moffitt and Thomas Kelly.  Hugh H did not name this son of his Patrick after his own father.  So it may not have been the first child or he may have had a very high regard for his FIL or his then wife. 

So my theory is Hugh's first wife may have been  a Miss Moffitt or a Miss Kelly.

My theory is that Hugh was working away from Lurganteneil as a mason at Whiteabbey where he may have met Jane Wilson.  He seems to be back at Lurganteneil for the 1901 census, probably before, the births of their children should give some details. 

There is a Lucy Cosnahan born to Hugh and Jane on 28/3/1869

It could be an idea to find out which church was closest to Lurganteneil and see if there are records. Might be Aghagallon.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 22 08:11 GMT (UK) »
There are some Cushnahans around Carnmoney which is in Co Derry.

I've checked several reliable resources and can't see a townland called Carnmoney anywhere in Co. Derry. Carnmoney in Co. Antrim is a civil parish which includes Whiteabbey-
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/carnmoney2/
Carnmoney townland itself-
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/belfast-lower/carnmoney/carnmoney/carnmoney/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 22 08:17 GMT (UK) »

There are some Cushnahans around Carnmoney which is in Co Derry.

Just adding to what aghadowey has said, the Cushnahans in Co Londonderry appear to be around the townland of Kirley, which is in Maghera civil parish. (according to Griffiths Valuation)

https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/loughinsholin/maghera/carnamoney/kirley/

The Electoral Division was Carnamoney.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo