Author Topic: help with Cushnahan family near lisburn  (Read 532 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with Cushnahan family near lisburn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 March 22 08:18 GMT (UK) »
There are some Cushnahans around Carnmoney which is in Co Derry.

I've checked several reliable resources and can't see a townland called Carnmoney anywhere in Co. Derry. Carnmoney in Co. Antrim is a civil parish which includes Whiteabbey-
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/carnmoney2/
Carnmoney townland itself-
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/belfast-lower/carnmoney/carnmoney/carnmoney/

That's odd I had thought I had amended that?  Yes you are correct and I have been looking around Whiteabbey

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 March 22 08:19 GMT (UK) »

There are some Cushnahans around Carnmoney which is in Co Derry.

Just adding to what aghadowey has said, the Cushnahans in Co Londonderry appear to be around the townland of Kirley, which is in Maghera civil parish. (according to Griffiths Valuation)

https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/loughinsholin/maghera/carnamoney/kirley/

The Electoral Division was Carnamoney.

Yes Kirley was the area I had been looking and Carnamoney as the place.....sorry. But thought I had taken refs out to L'derry as there was so much in and around Lurganteneil /Whiteabbey to be going along with. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 March 22 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes Kirley was the area I had been looking and Carnamoney as the place.....sorry. But thought I had taken refs out to L'derry as there was so much in and around Lurganteneil /Whiteabbey to be going along with. 
Yes, you've totally changed reply #6 since I quoted it not only by editing out the incorrect Co. Derry reference but adding lots more details so I'll not bother posting any more information on this thread.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 March 22 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry it was a moving feast and I had not realised I had posted it and was amending just kept adding and subtracting ......I will note now that it has been added to to remove L'derry refs.

I am sure OP would be disappointed if you left the thread on my account......it is OP I was trying to help. 

ETA
My apologies again

Hopefully you will reconsider. 

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 March 22 10:57 GMT (UK) »
hi folks. absolutely no worries about the references to Derry. mistakes happen!! besides, cushnahan and it’s variants seem to be fairly common in Ulster. I really appreciate the help from all of you  :)

the two townlands there are consistent references to are Lurganteneil and Ballymacward. I really appreciate the theory of perhaps Hugh’s first wife being the daughter of another farmer.

Thomas’s wife Margaret Dunphy was from Killyleagh in Co Down where her parents and sisters continued to live. i think Thomas might’ve stayed and worked there with her father for a few years before moving on to Belfast.

the churches close to Kilmore (where thomas married) and Whiteabbey and Lurganteneil (where hugh lived) unfortunately do not go back far enough to help. 

I also appreciate the birth of Lucy and i had not seen that one before. I believe Hugh might have had a sister Lucinda so maybe she could have been named after her.

thanks again for all your help  :)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 March 22 16:55 GMT (UK) »
well this is helpful  ;D a newspaper extract from the Belfast newsletter in 1888

"Mr. CUMING said that Patrick Cushnahan died on the 22nd February, 1872, having previously made his will, dated the 11th May, 1871, and by it: he ordered his farm of land, which consisted of 22 acres, and house, which he held under Sir Richard Wallace, as tenant from year to year, to be sold, and an annuity of £8 a year to be paid to his wife, and on her death the residue to be divided equally between his three sons and four daughters. The wife died within one week after the death of the testator, and probate was granted to the plaintiff on the 26th March, 1887. When the testator died the defendants possessed themselves of a farm of land and other of his assets, which they still retained, and his client sought to obtain a decree for the administration of the estate."

the three brothers are mentioned in the article as Hugh, Edward and James. Now will just have to find the daughters :) perhaps it will lead me to something else.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 March 22 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting. Does it mention where the land was and the plaintiff/s?

I'll have a look for the daughters too. 

I always have to remind myself that Thomas died before his father died. Have had a couple of moments when I thought I was finding something and then realised this.

When Hugh and Jane married Thomas may not have gone back to live with them.  May have stayed with connections in Whiteabbey or his grandfather Patrick?     Jane seems to be 9-10 years younger than Hugh. 

Have you tracked Jane back and the Wilson Family to see if the families are connected earlier? 
Also to see who Edward and James married in case you fluke onto a two brothers marrying two sisters scenario for either of them, and Hugh, and his first wife? 

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 March 22 23:02 GMT (UK) »
the land mentioned is Ballymacward. the gist of the article is that in 1868 Patrick promised Edward half a share of the farm when he passed but when he actually passed his will left it to his son James, who owned a pub in belfast. it then mentions Hugh coming into possesion of the property whilst the will is being disputed.

Edward later appears in Ballymacward census but he seems way younger than both Hugh and James?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Islandkelly/Ballymacward_Lower/998869/

Edward Cushnahan + Margt Yarr
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11417/8193709.pdf

also a John wilson as a wittness?

I think James may have married Sarah Cramsie in 1850 in Belfast. Will have to follow up on Jane's family but unsure where to go for non RC records.