Author Topic: Family Search Parish Records.  (Read 699 times)

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Family Search Parish Records.
« on: Saturday 19 March 22 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It is some little time ago now that I used the Family Search Records and having recently logged on found everything completely changed.  I remember there used to be church records online where you could search through the registers church by church but I cannot remember what it was called.  Does anyone know if this is still available please?

Thank you

Cathy
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search Parish Records.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 22 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Cathy -- you may be referring to the IGI - the International Genealogical Index. On that - if you found an ancestor you could click on a batch number and find others baptised etc at the same church.

It was handy for searching for siblings of ancestors.

I have just googled it and this came up

https://www.familysearch.org/en/blog/new-igi-batch-number-search

(Haven't tried it - other results came up also).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 22 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It is some little time ago now that I used the Family Search Records and having recently logged on found everything completely changed.  I remember there used to be church records online where you could search through the registers church by church but I cannot remember what it was called.  Does anyone know if this is still available please?

Thank you

Cathy

If you are looking for the registers for a particular place or church, go to 'search' in the listings along then top, then down to 'catalog'.
Under 'Place', put in the name of your town or village and hit search.
Go down to 'church records', and you will get a list of the films they hold for that place.
Hopefully there will be one for the church you're looking for.
There are generally ones for the parish church (or churches), plus other churches or chapels like non-conformist Methodists etc.
You'll see there are also other films that come up besides 'church records' which may be worth looking at too.
You need to register an account with familysearch.org (free), and then you can look at many of the millions of films free at home. Sometimes the film symbol has a little key over it, which means you can only view it at an LDS library, or affiliate library. Luckily our city library is classed as an affiliate library, so those locked films can be looked at there.

Added:
If you've found a record for a person, and want to look at that particular film, you can also get to the film by taking note of the film number, which will be on the entry, and then under 'catalog', go down to 'film number', and enter it there.
Just another way of getting to it.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 March 22 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pennines, that was what I was looking for.  Thank you also for posting the link, I will look into it.

Thank Goldie61 for your information.  I will enjoy looking through these records now I  have some idea how to use them.

Cathy
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk