Author Topic: BARNES in Winchester  (Read 422 times)

Offline Woollyheaded

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BARNES in Winchester
« on: Saturday 19 March 22 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :) Please could anyone help?

I'm trying to find out information about a lady called Marion Lucy BARNES. All I know for sure is her name, that she died in Winchester, Hampshire on 7th August 1962, aged 52 years and that she was a wife and mother. 

Working backwards, I've found her death record at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?scan=1&r=226032142:4416&d=bmd_1646647063 listed as 1962 in Winchester.

I found a potential marriage record at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?scan=1&r=162799186:1797&d=bmd_1646647063 It seems the most likely as it's the only "Marion L" shown and the date range is probable but that's literally all I have to go on. I notice that that she is listed as having the surname Barnes, the same as the groom. They married in 1930 in Stoke Newington. Obviously, this record may not be the correct person.

Using the record above to give a maiden name of Barnes, I found a likely birth record of Marion Lucy Barnes in 1910 in St Olave (London). That date would also match the birth year indicated in the initial info I have.
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?scan=1&r=124059476:2319&d=bmd_1646647063

I'm hoping to find out about who she was, why and when she moved to Winchester, descendants, etc. Any info anyone can please give me would be gratefully received.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BARNES in Winchester
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 22 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Information from the  National Probate Calendar
Marion Lucy Barnes of 60 Foxcatt Road Charlton Andover Hampshire, d  24 Garden Avenue winchester 7 Aug 1962 Hampshire.
Probate 1 Nov 1962 Winchester
Administration 1 November to Stanley Barnes Air Ministry Policeman
Effects 216 pounds 10 shillings

There is a public tree on ancestry which has all her details and a photograph.
Parents Arthur G Barnes  1884  Islington, London death January 1955  Surrey Mid eastern, Surrey and Marion Ellen Pollard birth 24 May 1891 London, Surrey, death 3 October 1971 Halifax,  Calderdale, West Yorkshire
They had two children
Mary Barnes 1935 - 2006 and another who is listed as 'private so still alive.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 22 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Woollyheaded!

Welcome to Rootschat - and I love your username!

Good find Crisane.

My suggestion would be to look at the 1939 Register first of all - it will give you her birth date (but not where she was born) - you will see where she is living at that point.

It MAY just help you know if it's the correct person. Bear in mind though, her husband may not be with her if he is serving in the forces in WW2.

The 1939 Register can be found on both Ancestry and Find My Past.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Woollyheaded

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 22 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both :-) It does look like the marriage record I found must be correct after all then.

It's been several years since I last looked at any genealogy and I'm feeling rusty! I can see search results for her on Ancestry but can't view any (or the photo, which is a real shame) without taking out a subscription. I'll see if I can get through to anything on the 1939 register - thanks.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 22 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if we can give out info from the 1939 Register - but I am sure I can say that she was living in St Albans at that point.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Woollyheaded

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 22 20:04 GMT (UK) »
That's really interesting - she certainly moved around then! Thank you Pennines  :)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 22 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Some public libraries have a free version of ancestry.com so it may be worth it to ask your do they have it.

Marion Lucy Barnes age 52 buried 10 August 1962, Magdalen Hill Cemetery, Winchester
Cemetery Section - D Fc
Grave number - A 4/106
Internment Number -   8542

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 22 03:05 GMT (UK) »

Marion Lucy Barnes, shorthand typist, age 20 of 10 Statham Grove, married 5 July 1930 at All Saints, Stoke Newington, Hackney, Stanley Barnes Bachelor, Police constable, of 39 Dalston Lane, Dalston
Marion's father - Arthur Barnes, Police Constable
Stan;ey's father Charles ??can't decipher middle name, Barnes. occupation Painter.
Witnesses Edward Barnes and Roy? White.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 22 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Marion and Stanley's daughter Mary 1936-2006 married a  Gerald Frank Walters
born 4 May 1927 Southampton died August 2001 Alton Hampshire. They married 5 July 1958 in Andover, Hampshire. The tree lists only one child for them and is private. I found one only on FreeBMD Hampshire county 1958 - 1970. A daughter birth registered June 1/4 1961 registration district Winchester vol 6b page 1245 and there is a possible marriage for her in 1986 Registration district Alton vol 20 page 84. I was only searching in Hampshire so it would all have to be confirmed.