Author Topic: What does this WW1 record mean pls? Garr.Bn.Linc  (Read 1511 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does this WW1 record mean pls? Garr.Bn.Linc
« on: Saturday 19 March 22 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell me what the l/Garr.Bn.Linc refers to please on this WW1 victory roll record please? I believe he was in the 1st Linc Regiment but checking what the second line of this record refers to ...was he moved within the army and if so what does Garr.Bn.Linc mean? He lived in India prior to and after WW1.

Thank you

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What does this WW1 record mean pls? Garr.Bn.Linc
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 22 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Probably garrison battalion.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 22 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes i agree with garrison battalion
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 22 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Does this mean he was moved, or that a smaller unit amalgamated into a bigger one?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 March 22 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The abbreviation "Garr" is definitely for the military word -  Garrison.  It is describing the role undertaken by the BATT at that time.   "Batt"  is the abbreviation for battalion.

So the second line you mention is simply saying that he was, at that time,  in the  1st Linc Regiment's GARRISON Battalion. 

So he was part of those guarding/defending the buildings, equipment, barracks, etc occupied by and for the soldiers of the 1st Linc Regiment.

JM .
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 22 10:46 GMT (UK) »
The 1st Garrison Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment was formed in September 1915. In October 1915, the entire Battalion sailed to India where they remained for the duration of the war. They were under the command of the Presidency Brigade of the 8th Indian Division.

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 22 11:28 GMT (UK) »
The image that you posted for soldier 9576 (I believe it is Louis Coley) was first in the 1st Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment. I found a record of a soldier (James H Lawrence) with a very close service number of 9573 who was also in the 1st Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment - his record shows that he enlisted on the 1 April 1913 and by the 4 April 1913 he was with the 1st Battalion based in Portsmouth. His medal records show that he was France by the 13 August 1914.

Louis Coley's medal records show that he was in France by the 13 August 1914 also with the 1st Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment.

The 1st Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment was based in Portsmouth and the war diaries for the Battalion shows that the Battalion were part of the 9th Brigade of the 3rd Division. The war diaries record that the Battalion received orders on the 4 August 1914 to mobilize. Preparation took place over the ensuing days and on the 13 August 1914, at approximately 4.10pm the Battalion sailed from Portsmouth aboard the SS Norman and arrived in Le Havre, France at 4.00am on the 14 August.

At some stage (probably September 1915), soldier 9576 was transferred into the 1st Garrison Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment and as I stated in my first post, they sailed to India in October 1915 where they remained for the duration of the war.

The reverse side of the medal index card for soldier 9576 shows his address as being in Eastern Bengal. (snip image courtesy of Ancestry)

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 22 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Does this mean he was moved, or that a smaller unit amalgamated into a bigger one?

His first battalion (the 1st Battalion Lincolnshire's) remained in France for the whole of the war but the 1st Garrison Battalion was newly formed in September 1915 and as well as recently recruited men, soldiers from other battalions were transferred in to it.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 22 11:46 GMT (UK) »
The image that you posted for soldier 9576 (I believe it is Louis Coley) was first in the 1st Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment. I found a record of a soldier (James H Lawrence) with a very close service number of 9573 who was also in the 1st Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment - his record shows that he enlisted on the 1 April 1913 and by the 4 April 1913 he was with the 1st Battalion based in Portsmouth. His medal records show that he was France by the 13 August 1914.

Louis Coley's medal records show that he was in France by the 13 August 1914 also with the 1st Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment.

The 1st Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment was based in Portsmouth and the war diaries for the Battalion shows that the Battalion were part of the 9th Brigade of the 3rd Division. The war diaries record that the Battalion received orders on the 4 August 1914 to mobilize. Preparation took place over the ensuing days and on the 13 August 1914, at approximately 4.10pm the Battalion sailed from Portsmouth aboard the SS Norman and arrived in Le Havre, France at 4.00am on the 14 August.

At some stage (probably September 1915), soldier 9576 was transferred into the 1st Garrison Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment and as I stated in my first post, they sailed to India in October 1915 where they remained for the duration of the war.

The reverse side of the medal index card for soldier 9576 shows his address as being in Eastern Bengal. (snip image courtesy of Ancestry)

This is very helpful and I am very grateful. Yes it’s Louis Coley. I have a note (but I can’t recall where I’ve got the info from) that he was a pre war regular (attested 1913) as he has the 14 Star with clasp & roses.
He applies for the clasp in 1923 giving an address of:
Eastern Bengal Coy.
AFI Dacca E. Bengal.

Can you tell me what this all means? What is a 14 star with clasp and roses? Was it connected to WW1 duties?

And then what does his unit do after WW1 because he stayed on and got married in 1922. The record cert states that at the time he was a Staff Sergeant instructor living Gonda (which was 106 miles west of Gorakhpur where his future wife lived). So am trying to work out how they met….can you see anything about his post war record that places him nearer to Gorakhpur? I’ve tried and not found a lot. Apparently his post war record and WW1 record didn’t survive…do you think I will therefore draw a blank with this?

I know he died in Adra in 1928 from gastroenteritis because I have his brother in law’s diary, but would love to know anything more about his life that you can find.