Author Topic: What does this WW1 record mean pls? Garr.Bn.Linc  (Read 1514 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What does this WW1 record mean pls? Garr.Bn.Linc
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 March 22 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I was told on a another forum a year ago that "His WW1 service record didn't survive & his record post war is not held by the MOD".....how would have person know that: is there a quick way of finding out as the poster implies?

The MoD published 8 spreadsheets in 2014 listing the records it held for service personnel born prior to 1901. As far as I can see there is no "Coley L" listed. But that could be an error.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/foi-responses-released-by-mod-week-commencing-1-december-2014

This data is also available on Ancestry in a dataset they call "UK, Military Discharge Indexes, 1920-1971"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 March 22 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I was told on a another forum a year ago that "His WW1 service record didn't survive & his record post war is not held by the MOD".....how would have person know that: is there a quick way of finding out as the poster implies?

The MoD published 8 spreadsheets in 2014 listing the records it held for service personnel born prior to 1901. As far as I can see there is no "Coley L" listed. But that could be an error.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/foi-responses-released-by-mod-week-commencing-1-december-2014

This data is also available on Ancestry in a dataset they call "UK, Military Discharge Indexes, 1920-1971"

Thank you Shaun, and for looking. I will have a look. It's such a shame that the queue to get relative's war records is so long at the moment. 18 months for my other relative with no sign that they are even bothered about it, let alone any indication on when I might see some results.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 10:00 GMT (UK) »
After looking at his medal card again, I believe that Louis returned from India sometime in 1919 and was 'demobbed' from the British Army. It appears that he returned to Lincolnshire where he met and had a dalliance with a Miss Keech resulting in a daughter being born in January 1921. It appears that when he was told of the pregnancy he disappeared back to India where he joined the Eastern Bengal Company A.F.I.

The Eastern Bengal Company was an Auxilliary Force, India - men joining, including ex soldiers, would sign up for 4 years but could extend on a yealy basis. Louis did just this - he was in the A.F.I. when he married in 1922 and was still in the A.F.I. when he died in 1928.

The A.F.I. was the equivalent to the Territorial Army in the UK and was in force until India gained independence.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating! Thank you so much! And then the money would have run out from him (if any) when he died when she was seven.

I don’t think the later children knew anything about her at all.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 10:45 GMT (UK) »
So he wasn't in the British Army in the 1920's. That would explain why the MoD holds no records for him.

I am wondering if the British Library has AFI records in its India Office collection.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 11:08 GMT (UK) »
OK -- further update -- when the 1921 Census was taken (19 June), Louis was still in the British Army. He is recorded as being a Staff Sergeant with the 21st Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, based at the Royal Artillery Barracks, Agra, India. He is recorded as being English, aged 27 years 11 months and unmarried.

Further research is needed, I'm still reasonably confident that there should be a service record somewhere, albeit with the MOD for service men from 1920 or for the Eastern Bengal Company A.F.I. (The A.F.I. must have records somewhere)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. I shall email the BL first to ask if they have the AFI records

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. I shall email the BL first to ask if they have the AFI records

Hi, can't do any more research for a few days -- I'm away from home. I can only access Find My Past from where I am  (my passwords for other sites are at home).

I look forward to finding out a bit more about Louis in the near future.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 11:41 GMT (UK) »
After looking at his medal card again, I believe that Louis returned from India sometime in 1919 and was 'demobbed' from the British Army. It appears that he returned to Lincolnshire where he met and had a dalliance with a Miss Keech resulting in a daughter being born in January 1921. It appears that when he was told of the pregnancy he disappeared back to India where he joined the Eastern Bengal Company A.F.I.

The Eastern Bengal Company was an Auxilliary Force, India - men joining, including ex soldiers, would sign up for 4 years but could extend on a yealy basis. Louis did just this - he was in the A.F.I. when he married in 1922 and was still in the A.F.I. when he died in 1928.

The A.F.I. was the equivalent to the Territorial Army in the UK and was in force until India gained independence.

Thank you for this. So think I summarise it  so far that Louis was in the British Army from 1913. He  received a medal for his 1914/1915 WW1 efforts in France and Belgium. He was shot through the cheek and his BIL's diary says in the stomach as well. His whole unit was then shipped to India in late 1915 as part of the British Army WW1 efforts in India.

After WW1, he was then demobbed, came back to England. In spring 1920, he got Miss Keech pregnant and rather than marry her (as was the normal/expected thing to do), he scarpered back to India and joined their equivalent of the Territorial Army.

He then served in the same region (Bengal) as before. The AFI records I seek will tell me exactly what and where maybe. Illegitimate daughter was born  in Jan 1921 and lived from birth with his mother in Spalding.

He then got married in India in Feb 1922 and they had four surviving children (and family rumour says more who didn't survive but I cannot find any more than four baptism records - yet!).

Joan Mary grew up in Lincolnshire as surname Coley (there is a newspaper record when she gets her pitman shorthand cert) and her grandmother took in lodgers. Joan became a dentists secretary and got married herself in 1943. The couple went to Canada for a few years but returned home to the Manchester area in the 1950s.

The four legitimate children grew up in India and only left after WW2 and Independence of India. They are all now deceased but have children, Grandchildren and great grandchildren surviving them in at least two countries.

Tasks:
1) Try to find Louis Coley's AFI records from the 1920-1928 period (when he died from gastroentiritis in Adra, India) to see where he was stationed etc.
2) Try to find descendants of Joan Mary Coley (Greenwood) as she died in 2001 to see if they know any more.
3) try to find descendants of David Walden Coley (also deceased) as he looks to have been the only one of the four legitimate children who knew of the existence of an illegimate elder half sister.
4) try to find more baptisms from Louis COLEY-Agnes Christobel COOMBS in India during 1922-1929 period. They lived in Gorakphur in Bengal but went up into the hills in summer.

Thank you both for your help so far, you've been great. If you have a chance to help on the above four issues I'd be grateful.

Any assistance or ideas with any of these four would be very welcome.