Author Topic: What does this WW1 record mean pls? Garr.Bn.Linc  (Read 1510 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What does this WW1 record mean pls? Garr.Bn.Linc
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 March 22 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The abbreviation "Garr" is definitely for the military word -  Garrison.  It is describing the role undertaken by the BATT at that time.   "Batt"  is the abbreviation for battalion.

So the second line you mention is simply saying that he was, at that time,  in the  1st Linc Regiment's GARRISON Battalion. 

So he was part of those guarding/defending the buildings, equipment, barracks, etc occupied by and for the soldiers of the 1st Linc Regiment.

JM .

Thank you for this.

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell me what this all means? What is a 14 star with clasp and roses? Was it connected to WW1 duties?

The 1914 Star medal was issued to soldiers who served in France and Belgium between the 5 August 1914 and 22 November 1914 (after the 22 November, soldiers received the 1914/15 Star medal). In addition, soldiers that operated under enemy fire were awarded the 1914 Star plus clasp and rose. As Louis was a regular soldier pre WW1, he would have been in the front line from the beginning with the 1st Battalion, hence the Star plus clasp and rose. In total, approximately 378,000 1914 Star medal were awarded with less than half that number being with clasp and rose.

I don't know if you have come across the phrase 'the 'Old Contemptibles', this refers to the men of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) that were regular soldiers fighting in France and Belgium from the start of WW1. You can proudly call Louis an old contemptible.

Image of 1914 Star with clasp and rose attached (public domain)

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:20 GMT (UK) »
The 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment were involved in the following battles in the 'qualifying period' for a 1914 Star plus clasp and rose:

August 1914 - Battle of Mons, Battle of Le Cateau

September 1914 - Battle of the Marne; Battle of the Aisne; Battles of La Bassee and Messines

October 1914 - First Battle of Ypres

Louis received his 1914 Star plus clasp and rose for his involvements in the above battles.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:38 GMT (UK) »
If he were my ancestor,  I would be proud to compile his life story and share it with all his descendants.

You are asking excellent questions and AllanUK is giving excellent details.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned in my 3rd post that the 1st Garrison Battalion were staffed by newly recruited men and men transferred from other battalions, this included some men that had recovered from injuries / wounds. I have found a British newspaper article that states that Louis had been badly wounded during the war. The article was in the Spalding Guardian (18 August 1928) and reads:

THE DEATH occurred at Adra, India, recently, of Sergt - Major Louis Coley, only son of Mrs L Coley, of London-road, Spalding. The deceased was badly wounded in the face during the war and was to have come home this year for the benefit of his health, but he was prevented from doing this by the birth of a son. The greatest sympathy is extended to the bereaved mother'

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:43 GMT (UK) »
As Louis remained in the army after WW1, his service record should survive. If it has survived, you should be able to obtain a copy from the Ministry of Defence, there is a fee (I think £30) but it can take a year to obtain. The link below will take you to the relevant government web site.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 March 22 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned in my 3rd post that the 1st Garrison Battalion were staffed by newly recruited men and men transferred from other battalions, this included some men that had recovered from injuries / wounds. I have found a British newspaper article that states that Louis had been badly wounded during the war. The article was in the Spalding Guardian (18 August 1928) and reads:

THE DEATH occurred at Adra, India, recently, of Sergt - Major Louis Coley, only son of Mrs L Coley, of London-road, Spalding. The deceased was badly wounded in the face during the war and was to have come home this year for the benefit of his health, but he was prevented from doing this by the birth of a son. The greatest sympathy is extended to the bereaved mother'

This fits exactly with what we already know; the family were told he was injured during WW1, so thank you for this newspaper record which is the first time I've seen it. Can I ask how you found it pls/the source? British Newspaper Archive maybe?

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 March 22 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell me what this all means? What is a 14 star with clasp and roses? Was it connected to WW1 duties?

The 1914 Star medal was issued to soldiers who served in France and Belgium between the 5 August 1914 and 22 November 1914 (after the 22 November, soldiers received the 1914/15 Star medal). In addition, soldiers that operated under enemy fire were awarded the 1914 Star plus clasp and rose. As Louis was a regular soldier pre WW1, he would have been in the front line from the beginning with the 1st Battalion, hence the Star plus clasp and rose. In total, approximately 378,000 1914 Star medal were awarded with less than half that number being with clasp and rose.

I don't know if you have come across the phrase 'the 'Old Contemptibles', this refers to the men of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) that were regular soldiers fighting in France and Belgium from the start of WW1. You can proudly call Louis an old contemptible.

Image of 1914 Star with clasp and rose attached (public domain)

thank you so much for this invaluable info and the info about which battles they were in. I am really grateful that someone so knowledgeable and helpful has come on this thread.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 March 22 17:15 GMT (UK) »
As Louis remained in the army after WW1, his service record should survive. If it has survived, you should be able to obtain a copy from the Ministry of Defence, there is a fee (I think £30) but it can take a year to obtain. The link below will take you to the relevant government web site.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

I was told on a another forum a year ago that "His WW1 service record didn't survive & his record post war is not held by the MOD".....how would have person know that: is there a quick way of finding out as the poster implies?

Unfortunately I applied for another relative's military records from the link you've given in October 2020 - and I am still waiting. I wrote four weeks ago to ask again when they're going to do it - and they're still blaming the pandemic.... it took them 10 months to even open the envelope with my request and they can't tell me when they're going to get round to it even though I've already been waiting a year and a half!!