Author Topic: Ancestry DNA Pedigree View Confusion  (Read 583 times)

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA Pedigree View Confusion
« on: Sunday 20 March 22 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
When viewing DNA matches trees in pedigree view, if I click on a name, a box pops up with that persons details. So far so good.

If I click on most names at the top (father's side) then under that person's name it usually says Smith family tree or whatever, which seems to make sense.
If I click on names at the bottom (mother's side) then it doesn't say anything in that place?

Now what's confusing me is that if the tree is large enough to include 2x grandparents and I click on one of those then underneath the name in the box it doesn't say Smith family tree etc, it says my surname instead?
It does this for all 8 gt gt grandparents on fathers side, even where I know the match personally and the person in the tree is not a blood relative, we connect on the mother's side only.

Is it just me or does anybody else see this?

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA Pedigree View Confusion
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry not understanding preccisely what you are saying.

Are you able to post a snip to identify the problem?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 March 22 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
For instance I have a 3rd cousin on my mother's side, if I click on her in Ancestry DNA the first view is of her family tree.The first picture his of her gt and gt gt grandparents in her tree

If I then click on her gt grandfather, Senior Fawcett then I get the second picture which shows his name and under his name its says Laycock/Fawcett family tree.

If I then click on her gt gt grandfather William Fawcett then I get the third picture which shows his name but underneath his name, where it should show the same tree it shows Starkey??

It does this on all of my DNA matches who have large enough trees to be able to see gt gt grandparents.

Curious.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 March 22 14:54 GMT (UK) »
That is very odd. Just tried it with a tree for one of my matches and I just get their date / place of birth details and similar for death. No tree name with an individual person.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 March 22 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I think I've found the tree you're looking at, but it's not coming up with any tree names under the person's name for me. Could it be a new Ancestry feature, and I haven't got it yet? Looking at William's profile, sources are all records, no other Ancestry member's tree is quoted as a source, so that doesn't seem to be the reason.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 22 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I think I've found the tree you're looking at, but it's not coming up with any tree names under the person's name for me. Could it be a new Ancestry feature, and I haven't got it yet? Looking at William's profile, sources are all records, no other Ancestry member's tree is quoted as a source, so that doesn't seem to be the reason.

The same for me on both the tree with the Fawcett's in (which does contain people called Starkey too, although the tree owner doesn't have a Starkey tree) and on my own trees.  As Lizzie says it just gives the profile as it always has done.

I rather think it is a glitch which might iron itself out.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 22 16:21 GMT (UK) »

iI tried to replicate what you did but am maybe not following the same steps

could it be something to do with someone who manages several trees

unless you mean  that when you click on profile your common ancestor shows which is the one that will appear in thru lines  then have the name of their tree  then surnames underneat h which are shared it is quite possible for someone to have surnames which match your fathers side but not be the same family line

sorry if ive misunderstood i cant get a tree name by hovering over a persons profile
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 22 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I think I have similar to Stu.

Picking a DNA match at random with a large tree where I have not yet found the link to me:

* Clicking on paternal line names up to great grandparent level opens a box with ancestor name and 'SRO Tree' underneath.

* Clicking on any of the maternal line names opens a box with ancestor name only.

* Clicking on any of the paternal 2xG grandparents opens a box with ancestor name with 'antonymark Tree' (the name of my tree) underneath.

* Expanding the tree by using the arrows by each 2xG grandparents name and clicking on any of the names, paternal or maternal, opens a box with ancestor name and 'SRO Tree' underneath. This includes the names that were showing 'antonymark Tree' when viewed from the unexpanded pedigree.

The first time I noticed this had me scouring my tree in a panic to check that I hadn't accidentally added anyone who shouldn't be there.

Very odd.

Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 22 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I think Ancestry DNA is playing up, pages taking a long time to load or not at all, or getting redirected to completely the wrong pages ::).