Author Topic: Whats highest cm match to parents line who doesn't actually match your parent  (Read 1215 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Curious because

I have a 30 cm match and a cluster of 8-25cm matches who match me and some have mutual matches from my father's line but they don't match his sisters DNA at all ...

I don't have my father's DNA so use his sister as base line. So I wonder if this could also happen with a parent .

All the matches  which don't match her have some Scottish ethnicity and are located in Canada.

My aunt and father had same parents because I share DNA to matches via all the grandparents !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline RyanUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am intrigued to know what you find out on this. Ancestry were very helpful when I asked them on their chat feature some dna questions I had.
It was to do with having dna matches to people I don't match dna with.
An individual in my tree may have a different father.
That  individual in my family has matches to another family and it shows them to be my dna matches with me when they aren't. Ancestry told me the system will show all as my dna matches.

I am not sure if this happens to all half family members in my entire tree who are related to other families.
This would be very confusing if true.

Brinsley -
(marple, derbyshire)

Dace -
(cannock, staffordshire)
(altrincham, cheshire)
(detroit, michigan)(canada)(usa)

Longson -
(derbyshire)

Tattersall -
(rossendale, lancashire)

Townley -
(livesey, blackburn, lancashire)
(greater manchester)

Winfindale -
(burton upon trent, staffordshire)

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is an interesting question.

I have a slightly different scenario - occasionally I get "child only" matches on one of my DNA kits....

E.g. I share DNA with "Rebecca" 50.3cM over 5 segments. "Rebecca" does not appear anywhere on either parents' DNA match list on the same company database.  The company advised to look at Shared Matches to see if any of those match mother or father. Several match the maternal side.

One explanation I've found so far for this is that it is due to Imputation as child + parents kits are all uploads.  Also, I don't think it helps that my parents have at least one ancestral line from the same geographical region of the UK so this probably confuses things even more!

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
That's very interesting

Ryan I'm not sure I understand your scenario
Do you mean you didn't match someone who you would expect to match with who had Different parent from the other siblings in line

I don't think DNA can lie ..a connection will be somewhere but thru lines could suggest a different line because of the paper trees

Carmelia yes I think the geographical proximity does lead to extra proximity.
* Could you have some DNA from each parent  which is not enough to show as a match to either #

I have a few Jones that were taken in by uncle aunt's or birth father or stepfather's which skew lines a lot .
One  grandchild of an adoptee had same photo as a grandchild of the birth mother which proved they'd stayed in touch this was before legal adoption

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Camelia I built up a tree for the lady in the photo  a great auntb 1850  there are 4 direct descendants now who connect via 4 of her children 1 adopted  1 kept by birth father and 2 from legal marriages
The 2nd cousins twice removed have 25- 57 cm with 1- 4 segments

With surnames JONES PRICE EVANS and WILLIAMS it was quite an achievement  and we.d never have worked it out if I hadn't asked to share the photo because I liked it so much
# they actually match my mother at that level

I only  have 2
Matches  of these 3rd cousins once removed at 25 and 23 cm

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hi Brigid, yes I think you could be right about my match with "Rebecca" because several of the segments are just over the threshold level of 6cM so maybe each parent is contributing to the 50cM total.

re. common surnames, I've got 3 John Smith's in my tree on different lines and the DNA evidence so far is suggesting one of them may not actually be a Smith after all...

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
 :D I've got lots of John JONES marrying into various lines and Jones marrying other Jones

It's good when you can unravel connundrums

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whats highest cm match to parents line who doesn't actually match your parent
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I had been assuming that somewhere in past one of my maternal ancestors had hooked up with a paternal ancestor

But a much more logical explanation is that a Scottish PAYERNAL  ancestor hooked up with the matches ancestor and at a more recent level their descendant awas a parent of the match who had child with a descendant of my MATERNAL  ancestor and their other parent

Does that make sense ?

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Whats highest cm match to parents line who doesn't actually match your parent
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 March 22 14:47 GMT (UK) »
What about another scenario where there's more than one common ancestor/ common ancestral couple so the match looks closer than it really is.....

Sometimes I've looked at "shared matches of shared matches" to try to figure out which line the DNA cousin match is on, but it doesn't always seem to work and tracing back the paper tree leads to a different ancestral line altogether.