Author Topic: How to find records on WW I - East Surrey Regiment #809  (Read 452 times)

Offline bellstalker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find records on WW I - East Surrey Regiment #809
« on: Monday 21 March 22 18:24 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was in WWI and received a medal for bravery.  He was in the East Surrey Regiment Infantry. Signed up Sep 2, 1914.  How do I find information on this medal and his records?  I believe
he was a messenger on a motorbike.  Name : Albert Dormer b. 1898 Brentford, Middlesex, England  Although, I see he said he was 19 in 1914, on one record.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How to find records on WW I - East Surrey Regiment #809
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry [and Find My Past] have the surviving attestation papers of Albert Dormer born in Brentford and claiming to be 19 years old and who enlisted in the East Surrey Regiment at Richmond on 2nd September 1914.

If you don't have a subscription to these sites, you'll probably find that your local library does have free access and you should be able to see them there.

The record is incomplete - but there is no entry in the section for campaigns. If he was only 16 years old in 1914 he would have been under-age. If that were discovered at the time he would have been sent home. I can't see any record for medal entitlement for Albert Dormer Private 809 East Surrey Regiment. Do you have his medal?

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 08:45 GMT (UK) »
There's a November 1918 newspaper mention of Albert Dormer (alias Dawes) of Twickenham (fined 5s for playing "Crown & Anchor").

There are some WW1 military records (medal and pension cards) for Albert Frank Dawes alias Dormer of Twickenham who served in the ASC, RFA and Labour Corps. He was awarded the Military Medal in 1917 when serving as a gunner with 64th Battery RFA (68853).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Some of the army records have him as Alfred Daws.

Silver War Badge: 68853 Gr Alfred Daws MM discharged from 4/a Reserve Bde RFA, 26/9/18, wounds. Enlisted 11/1/15.

1914-15 Star: Disembarked 1/4/15, Army Service Corps EMT/64703

RFA Medal Roll: Alfred Daws - shows that he re-enlisted in the Labour Corps 10/5/1919 697984

RASC Medal Roll: Driver Alfred Daws - shows that he re-enlisted in the RASC 8/4/20
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bellstalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 17:04 GMT (UK) »
jds1949 - Thank you for your reply.  I belong to Ancestry and Findmypast and have checked and received a couple of documents.  We do not have the medal.  As a very young girl I did see it, but can't remember what it looked like.  It went missing after he moved into seniors home.

Offline bellstalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 17:17 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ - Wow - not really a surprise that he went by an alias- he was 'difficult.' So he went Albert Dormer to Alfred Daws.  This is great information, where did you find it?  Thank you so much for posting.