Author Topic: Property or electoral roll records for 42 Elbow Lane Stevenage for 1954 and 1955  (Read 580 times)

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello group

Yesterday I posted this in the wrong sub group (resources not this one) so with apologies to the convener I repeat the request

I am looking for some assistance to help solve a puzzle from my past.

I am interested in the 1954 and 1955 details for
42 Elbow Lane Stevenage, that is electoral role occupancy and or property ownership records

My parents resided in Stevenage during spring and summer of 1954.
I am not sure if it was the above address
It was meant to be a permanent move but with a new baby and a toddler (me) and no friends or local support they moved back to North London in October 1954. My mother died on 29 November 1954 in North London.

I have an official document (post office savings book) in which my father lists 42 Elbow Lane as his address in June -July 1955.

Any help gratefully accepted

Regards
Tony

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Property or electoral roll records for 42 Elbow Lane Stevenage for 1954 and 1955
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 06:18 GMT (UK) »
The moderators will move a post if you ask them. :)

I suspect that at this time electoral registers were compiled once a year around September / October.  Land registry generally hold property ownership information.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Property or electoral roll records for 42 Elbow Lane Stevenage for 1954 and 1955
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie99
I have duplicated so it I think it is now in the right place

You are correct about the time of compilation and that date is the cut off date
The London ones are online and for some reasons there is a gap of at that time

The 1955  London electoral register had a qualifying date of 10 October 1954 and shows my parents in London N10. Fits with my understanding.

The 1956 London register had a qualifying date of 10 October 1956 and shows just dad at a different address in London N10. Fits with my understanding.

I cannot find the 1955 London electoral register on line so not sure if that is just an gap in the Ancestry records or that that an update did not take place.
A gap in the records could be because they were overlooked/not digitised  or that they did not exist.
There are gaps in the war years and post war years but by 1950 everything seems to have become yearly.

The dates I have asked for are the actual dates so the 1955 and 1956 Hertfordshire electoral roll for Stevenage is what I am looking for.

Regards
Tony

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 07:23 GMT (UK) »
What was the London address

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 07:37 GMT (UK) »
As you have the Hertfordshire address why not contact the archives.   This page does not mention that the years you want are online anywhere

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rdr/

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that
I can see that I need to  contact them to see if they do a look up service. I tried through the resources pages but the email address was un deliverable.
I am in New Zealand it's late so that will be tomorrow
Regards
Tony

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I contacted the Herts archives and they said they do not have the electoral years I want and in fact and despite offering to pay they said as an overseas resident they cannot help me with their look up service

Not only that but they said in Stevenage before 1 May 1974 it was not compulsory to register land ownership.

Can anyone help with a look up of the property register, just in case it was registered?

Does anyone know who might hold copies of the Herts electoral rolls?

Tony

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Can anyone help with a look up of the property register, just in case it was registered?

Does anyone know who might hold copies of the Herts electoral rolls?

Copied from your other post

British Library is the other place to try but ALL registers for the dates you are looking at are held off site.
https://www.bl.uk/collection-guides/uk-electoral-registers#

From that link
Parliamentary Constituencies and their Registers Since 1832
The electoral registers are not included in our main catalogue, Explore the British Library. Instead you will need to consult Parliamentary Constituencies and their Registers since 1832 (PDF format).

As I mentioned on your other post Land Registry hold Some owner information, you would need to check whether they were able to confirm ownership for the dates you are looking for

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rei/

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Rosie99

thanks for your help on this and my other post on the electoral registers topic
looks like it will have to wait until I am next in UK
Regards
Tony