Author Topic: Impossible births  (Read 3984 times)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible births
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 March 22 08:30 GMT (UK) »
It's the labourers and washer women who cross the world to give birth several times yet spend the rest of their lives rooted in one place that get me.....
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline casram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 March 22 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes Roopat, I have one family of Ag. Labs. who once a year for about 10 years took a holiday to Canada to have another child.
Broadhouse, Broadist and variants - world wide - one name study
Oxfordshire - Broadist, May, Carpenter, Eden, Goold (Gould), Parker, Tanner
Gloucestershire - Broddis, Deacon, Midwinter
London - Fox, Gill, Maidlow, Easton
Norfolk - Stebbings, Gore, Gotts, Hubbard, Cropley
Berkshire- Haines, Kent, Booker, Noke, Norris
Yorkshire - Ramsbottom, Robinson, Dawson
Northamptonshire - Jones, Loak, Dent, Randall, Reynolds, Ramsbottom, Jelley, Rutland
Ireland - Withers, Cassidy, Leahy, Sweeney

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 March 22 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Ancestor died in 1856, and is on the 1871 census according to a hint. The enumerator must have been drunk and enumerated gravestones.  ;D

Or a marriage of a couple 200 years before they were even born. Goes to show how some people just get excited and just add anything, thinking the hints are the best fit, or are name collectors, a phrase some may not like.  ;D
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 March 22 15:32 GMT (UK) »
It's the labourers and washer women who cross the world to give birth several times yet spend the rest of their lives rooted in one place that get me.....

Yes, I have a poor village curate, whose wife gave birth to 7 or 8 children at regular intervals in the Yorkshire village where he was curate.
Apart from one child, when they apparently nipped up to the Scottish Highlands for the birth.
Then years later, after his death and his children were all put out to work or apprenticed as soon as possible (mostly around the age of 10 yrs) this one child was spared this drudgery to eventually marry a Scottish Baron and live in comparative luxury for the rest of her life, doing nothing for her impoverished siblings!

This incorrect information had been copied to many trees. I did contact one such tree-owner, who did agree with me that in retrospect it seemed very unlikely, but couldn't remember where the information had originally come from.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 March 22 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I once had to correct someone who had an ancestor born in 1823 dying in WWI in 1915...again, they couldn't see the problem.

Maybe the person did die during WW1 although not as a 'Serviceman' but may have been in the 'services' at an earlier time which has also been attributed wrongly on his death?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 March 22 13:04 BST (UK) »

Yes, I have a poor village curate, whose wife gave birth to 7 or 8 children at regular intervals in the Yorkshire village where he was curate.
Apart from one child, when they apparently nipped up to the Scottish Highlands for the birth.

This incorrect information had been copied to many trees.

I had that too...one line of my family didn't shift out of Lancashire for about 250 years but on one particular line there was a random child...born 200 miles away.... jammed between two other children born in Lancashire and with biologically impossible dates of birth between the three of them, but the parents names were the same so therefore this child must be this family!  :)

It also has the father of the family dying in Somerset when I have provided a copy of his Will to other researcher 20-odd years later that list out every single one of his kids... bar the random one of course... 

Thing is the other researcher has the random child as his direct relative so his ancestors (all copied from me and sourced by me) back from there are just wrong!  but he isn't having it...!  ::)

I've also got plenty of people dying in completely random bits of the world but I do think that's just people not being careful when the prompts for locations come up. 
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 March 22 14:01 BST (UK) »
I've actually had the opposite problem for a marriage of 2 relatives (both cousins of my great-grandfather and well-known to our family). Bride and groom born in same Nova Scotia village, had 4 children there, died and buried there as well as appear there in all possible census records. So, where did they get married? Wales. Barry, Wales. Strange as it may seem they did just sort of nip over to get married. Groom was first mate to my great-grandfather. Bride's father was a sea captain and she was on a voyage with him. They met up in Barry and decided to get married there.
I'm sure if it was on an online tree it would look unlikely but it really did happen.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 March 22 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reminder that there are some unusual but true stories out there aga

My latest was a suggestion on thru lines that the DNA connection was thru 2 sisters
Highly improbable that my matches grandma was the sister who'd died age 1

Kiltpin shared the song by ,"I'm my own grandpa " by Willie Nelson n on another post i've listened to it several times to see if the relationships really do compute

Reminds me of another true story .
(when one of my great grandmother s died  my great grandfather married her  neice )
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 March 22 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reminder that there are some unusual but true stories out there aga

Reminds me of another true story .
(when one of my great grandmother s died  my great grandfather married her  niece )

I have that too -- when my GG Aunt died, her widower married her niece, who became step-mother to her own cousins!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all