Author Topic: Whereabouts of extraordinary mother Ada WATSON in Cambridge area 1904-1931  (Read 690 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of extraordinary mother Ada WATSON in Cambridge area 1904-1931
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Debra,
No, I think Roger Hutchinson does state on page 55 of his book that there were three infant mortalities after their first born child, followed by 24 healthy children...and I haven't had a single peek at the 1921 Census yet, so many thanks for that!  Also for the family's Cambridge address...presumably their 1921 address was now in the St Pancras area of London.
Keith

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 21:12 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of family trees for this family on A/try....not surprisingly  ::) You need a subs to view.

The address showing for them (from children's birth regs in the late 1910s and early 1920s is 51 William Street, St Pancras, Middlesex. First London birth may have been in 1915, that of son Frank.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Monica,
Thanks so much for that information - and I do have a subscription for A/try, so hopefully I can view details of that family on the Public Member trees.  Must see whether 51, William St, St Pancras, still exists.  Gloucester Place in Cambridge had long gone, I believe, under what is now the area occupied by Cambs County Council Shire Hall on Castle Hill.
And that's a wonderful photo of the little girl with the firewood by, presumably, an Irish lough or inlet....
Keith

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Photo taken in Morar, Highlands by Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson www.ornaverum.org/family/donaldson/mary-e-muir.html Born in London, she fell in love with the Highlands and made her life there.

There is this main family tree on a/try www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/108440573/person/310078587861/facts It includes a photo of Ada and John Henry.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Monica,
Thanks for all that extra background info on that evocative photo...and so sorry to confuse Ireland with Scotland!
And I've now had a look at that family tree with details of Ada SMART/WATSON.  What a remarkable woman she must have been.  After the very short lives of children 2,3 and 4 to go on and have a further 24 healthy children.  And there's a source on there showing her in the St Pancras Workhouse 1916-1919 with four of her children under the age of 10 - in fact the youngest born 21st Dec 1917 may well have been born while she was there.  Describes herself as a wife of a soldier.  John Henry engaged on The Western Front, perhaps.   I wonder how many families were affected in this way by The Great War of 1914-18...
Keith
...but that address in Victoria Rd, Cambridge, is most certainly still there.  Must have driven straight past it today, in complete ignorance!  The address John Henry WATSON gave on his 1904 marriage registration...