Author Topic: Men in Carmarthen not marrying their partners in the 19th century puzzle  (Read 1491 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Men in Carmarthen not marrying their partners in the 19th century puzzle
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 September 22 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Maybe of no relevance at all, but is there a possibility that, at least for one of them, there was a previous marriage I.e. they were already married to someone else, preventing a second bigamous marriage. I do have an instance in my tree of someone marrying but then not living with their wife but going on to have several illegitimate children with his mistress. For any children born after 1837/38 have you also checked the GRO for their birth entries to see if they are listed as illegitimate (mother’s maiden name will be “-“). I presume you have also searched under surname Hugh or similar for any relevant records as Hughes and Hugh are often interchangeable in records.

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 September 22 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Thank you for your suggestion. I have been unable to find a marriage for any of the three brothers, and more than that, they all declare themselves to be single when they fill in the census. In the case of my direct ancestor Maria Elizabeth, she was registered as Jones in 1839, which is her mother's maiden name, although she was baptized as Hughes and named as Hughes on all of the censuses from 1841. I can only find her brother Charles Henry on the GRO index, who was also registered as Jones.

I cannot find the other children on the index, Henry because he was born in 1836 (I have his baptism, and he was baptized Henry Hughes) and I think they would all have been registered as Jones, as they definitely never married. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an explanation for why a middle-class, respectable family would have behaved this way.
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 October 22 20:58 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I have no insights - but this is a fascinating puzzle!