Author Topic: William Oliver / Elizabeth Turnbull  (Read 817 times)

Offline Danni1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Oliver / Elizabeth Turnbull
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 April 22 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your suggestions.

I have searched Scotlands People for an Elizabeth born to an Agnes and this has not been fruitful.

We have the parish birth record for all children of John Oliver and Isabel Ramsay and the witnesses for the last 2 births were:

1817   William Ramsay   Alexr (Alexander) Oliver
1819   George Walker   Alexr (Alexander) Oliver

I have looked for Alexander Oliver as father/brother of John but this was not successful.

These are the Parish record details:
1811 John Oliver, shoemaker, and Isabel Ramsay his wife had a son named John born 21st Dec 1810 and baptized 20th Jan 1811 by the Revd Mr Lockie?? Witness Elizabeth Hoit??? Susan Mather??
1812 John Oliver and Isabel Ramsay his wife had a son named William born on the twenty-eighth day of August and baptized on the thirteenth day of September 1812 Witnesses George Hambly and George Gillies (these are witnesses for several registrations)
1817 John Oliver and Isabel Ramsay his wife had a son named Alexander born on the twentyfourth day of December 1816 and baptized on the nineteenth day of January 1817 by the Revd Robert ? Lundie?? Minister of Kelso. Witnesses William Ramsay, Alexr (Alexander) Oliver
1819 The late John Oliver, shoemaker, and Isabel Ramsay his widow had a son named George born on the eighteenth day of April and baptized on fifteenth day of May 1819 by the Revd Robert ? Lundie?? Minister of Kelso. Witnesses George Walker, and Alexr (Alexander) Oliver.

By 1819 John Oliver has died.
I found in the 1851 census

OLIVER   Alexander   Head   M   M   78   Agricultural Labourer   Roxburghshire   Cavers
OLIVER   Agnes   Wife   M   F   63      Roxburghshire   Cavers
OLIVER   William   Son   -   M   17   Mason   Roxburghshire   Cavers

I have wondered if Alexander and Agnes Oliver took Isabel and children in after John died and hence Agnes is used in naming.

I'll try the options you have suggested.
Bye
Danni

Offline Danni1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 April 22 06:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your very helpful suggestions.
We do have the death certificates and the family bible but unfortunately no parents of William Oliver and Elizabeth Turnbull are listed.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 April 22 10:55 BST (UK) »
What a shame the Certs have no info.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Danni1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 April 23 03:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  The death certificates did not state parents unfortunately.