Author Topic: John James Caine (1858 _?1928)  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John James Caine (1858 _?1928)
« on: Friday 25 March 22 00:07 GMT (UK) »
John James Caine was my husbands great great grandfather. He was a mariner, but in later life was crippled and became known as John the Matmaker. My grandmother-in-law told me that there was some kind of accident at sea and he ended up in the freezing water (possibly trying to save someone). The 1911 census gives his occupation as Mariner, but in 1921 he was Disabled Fisherman. Does anyone know how I can find out anything more about him. (His wife was Emma Amelia nee Gregor)
thanks. Janice Caine

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John James Caine (1858 _?1928)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 19:41 BST (UK) »
I have a fam tree for the Greg(g)or family of Peel - see www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/families/greggor.htm
I think given the Peel connection that J J Caine's parents are John Cain + elizth garrett m Kirk German(ie Peel)  18551229
and Emily is dau of Benjamin Gregor + Ann Cringal
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 22 04:10 BST (UK) »
My grandmother-in-law told me that there was some kind of accident at sea and he ended up in the freezing water (possibly trying to save someone). The 1911 census gives his occupation as Mariner, but in 1921 he was Disabled Fisherman. Does anyone know how I can find out anything more about him. (His wife was Emma Amelia nee Gregor)

Can you be more specific please?

Born/married/died on IoM?

What other info. do you have if any?

Have you checked earlier census', his marriage, births/marriages/deaths of his children & his death cert. which will all give his occupation at those different times?

Have you checked newspapers for the 'accident' which would seem to have occurred some time between 1911 & 1921?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 June 22 04:33 BST (UK) »
I think he's the chap who in 1871 is a Farmer's son, 1881 a Fireman & 1891 a Fireman on Steamboat?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 22 05:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. That's given me a few hints. I think the occupation of Fireman put me off, but Ships fireman makes more sense. I believe he was born & died on the Isle of Man, I now think he died in 1928. Agree his father was John Cain & Mother Elizabeth Garrett. Couldn't find anything in newspapers about an 'accident'

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 June 22 05:23 BST (UK) »
His occupation on his marriage certificate was Mariner, as was his fathe John cain's occupation

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 22 13:36 BST (UK) »
1881 a Fireman
He's on a ship named The Douglas.

When did he marry & can you name his children in order of birth?

Can you please provide dates with events as it helps to narrow things down when looking for info.

Can you be more specific in what you seek please as I've asked a few questions on events which would help furnish you with more info.

"A sailor, seaman, mariner, or seafarer is a person who works aboard a watercraft as part of its crew"

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 June 22 14:46 BST (UK) »
His occupation on his marriage certificate was Mariner, as was his fathe John cain's occupation

Have you found baptisms for John James & any siblings?

The info. on the 1871 census has his father John as a 'Farmer'.

Are you following the correct chap as there seems to be a couple of John Caine's around at the same time of similar age?

There's this John Cain (no 'e') who could be the father...

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7870918

You need to join (free) & be logged in to download the info. (free)

Annie

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 June 22 06:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annie, I've looked at what you found in the archives. I may well be following the wrong John Cain(e) I think I was led astray by someone else's tree who seemed to have the right info. Will go back to square one.
Janice