Author Topic: family tree maker  (Read 616 times)

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
family tree maker
« on: Friday 25 March 22 16:21 GMT (UK) »
hi all. i was reading about family tree maker the other day and was thinking about buying it. it seems like it would be quite organised which i love :) i wanted to know peoples thoughts on it and if they would recommend it. i currently create my tree on findmypast and save it onto a usb every so often but thought it might be a nice change. would love to hear some thoughts. thanks!

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: family tree maker
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 22 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I have it (FTM 2019), use it and like it.   

It is on my laptop, which means that I can use it anywhere. Not just the tree, but all the images as well. In fact, everything that is on my Ancestry tree is on my Family Tree Maker tree. I can be in a far-flung graveyard, far from the internet, but still update my tree. Then, when I am back in civilization, I can sync both trees. 

I can be at a relative's house and have the complete tree on view, rather than trying to work out access and permissions for them. 

Two weeks ago, I had a problem with the bios. Curry's answer was to wipe the hard drive, reformat and re-install Windows 11. Everything was gone. I installed FTM 2019 and 17 minutes later it was all back as if it had never left. 

I would not be without it. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 22 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I've been using FTM for over ten years. I can do so much with it that you can't do with an online tree. Wouldn't be without it.

Martin

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 22 12:15 GMT (UK) »
thanks both! sounds good :)