Author Topic: Would This Smith Lady Be The Mother Or The Sister? Can Photo Be Coloured?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I'm trying to work out whether the lady in this photo is the mother or the sister of the two boys. The back of the photo is captioned "Robert Smith" and "Claud Smith" - they being brothers born 1882 and 1887 respectively. The other name is "Harriet Smith" which could be their mother b.1851, or sister b.1877.

Looking at the boys and their birth dates, I'm guessing the photos was taken early 1890's? The female does seem to have a "youngish" face, but are the clothes too old for her to be a sister?

Would it be possible to colourize the photo? I tried using a basic free colour program (sometimes works okay, and sometimes not). When I tried colouring this photo, the seated boys always comes out a horrible grey colour.

Thank you.
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Would This Smith Lady Be The Mother Or The Sister? Can Photo Be Coloured?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 22 19:41 GMT (UK) »
When were the parents of the two boys married?
Was there enough time for them to have had a daughter of this age?
What age would the mother have been in the early 1890s?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 22 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I think, mother with her sons.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 22 06:58 BST (UK) »
Goldie 61

Parents married 1873. The years of birth for the mother, 2 sons and daughters are included in the original post. I'm guessing the photo was taken early 1890's (say 1893?), mother would be 42, sons 11 and 6, with daughter 16. Or if a little later (say 2 years later) mother 44, sons 13 and 8, daughter 18.

Neale

Thanks for input.
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 22 18:57 BST (UK) »
Could you post the back please if you have it as it helps with dating.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 22 03:16 BST (UK) »
Here's a version. The colors are extremely subjective and can be changed/modified very easy. Not as good as I'd like, but I ran out of time for today.
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 March 22 06:27 BST (UK) »
Here's a version. The colors are extremely subjective and can be changed/modified very easy. Not as good as I'd like, but I ran out of time for today.

Carol

The photo is is not the original, and the names are written on the back of the frame which it is in. The birth years supplied are correct, so looking at the boys, my estitmate of early 1890's-1895 can't be too far off the year the photo was taken. The boy's age estimate is easier than the female's, and that my problem.

Les

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 22 06:31 BST (UK) »

Thanks John.

This was my attempt using a free colour program off the Internet - all you do is download the photo, and press one button, and the computer does the rest in a few seconds.. Not too bad(?) but it just couldn't get the boy sitting down coloured correctly.

Les

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 22 19:58 BST (UK) »
A colour version from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU