Author Topic: Stickland family from Abbas and Temple Combe, Somerset  (Read 1057 times)

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stickland family from Abbas and Temple Combe, Somerset
« on: Saturday 26 March 22 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am a relative of Ann Stickland Born 1806, Templecombe Somerset.

Her parents were James Stickland and Lucy Chisslet whom married in 1804 in Templecobme.

James re-married in 1817 to Phoebe Weare after Lucy's death in 1816.

Lucy Chilsslet was born in 1774 - Stowell nearby Templecombe.

James Stickland was born in 1779-1851 Templecombe (found on FreeReg ONLY) whose parents were James Stickland and Mary. Whilst I have all children from both his marriages I cannot find any further information on his parents or any potential siblings. There are no marriages that I can see on freereg/ancestry/findmypast/family search etc.

The only local death I could see is James Stickland born c.1767 died 1807 in Ditcheat, Somerset and Mary Stickland born c.1757 died in 1832 Abbas Combe, which doesn't add up to me.

Any help suggestions appreciated for the surname of Mary and any possible birth locations etc. Thanks in advance  :)

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stickland family from Abbas and Temple Combe, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 22 18:23 GMT (UK) »
How about the James Stickland and Mary Nineham who married in Wareham, Dorset in 1773? Perhaps James moved into Somerset for a job?
He could be one of the James Sticklands baptised in Dorset in 1752, 1750 or 1738.
Looks like Dorset was a Stickland stronghold in the 1700s, with 151 Stickland babies baptised there (on FreeReg) between 1700 and 1780.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stickland family from Abbas and Temple Combe, Somerset
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 22 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply!

Yes that was one of the families I had considered today. I think I'll have to look at the Dorset Archives catalogues and have a further look at any James Sticklands on there too.