Author Topic: Sweeney.  (Read 307 times)

Offline mrs acb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sweeney.
« on: Saturday 26 March 22 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have been researching the members of the Sweeney family in Ireland , Scotland and the US for a good few years now.
 I would really like to hear from anyone who has also researched the Sweeney family who desend from, David Sweeney and Kate Heggerty  and their son Denis sweeney who married Mary Boyle. Denis and Mary moved to Dumbarton in Scotland in the 1880s. I am the great grand daughter of Annie Sweeney (later Porterfield) who was the youngest of Denis and Marys children.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sweeney.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 22 02:00 BST (UK) »
A great-aunt of mine was briefly married to Denis Sweeney, born Dumbarton 1885, died Motherwell 1915, he was the eldest son of Charles Sweeney and Mary Moan. Charles was the son of Denis Sweeney and Mary Boyle.
Charles and Mary Moan had at least 5 other children, 4 daughters,
They were - Ann Jane born 1887 Dumbarton.
Mary, born about 1893 Philadelphia USA.
Sarah, born about 1897, Jersey, USA.
Agnes, born 1899, Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire.
There was a son, I can't remember his name (but I'll find out), it may have been Charles, he is buried in Motherwell with his brother Denis and my gt-aunt, as far as I can remember he died in Dumbarton in the 1930s.

Denis Sweeney and my gt-aunt never had children, he spent much of his married life confined to hospital with tuberculosis.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.