Author Topic: Researchers think they’ve found the last surviving Pilgrim ship  (Read 490 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Researchers think they’ve found the last surviving Pilgrim ship
« on: Saturday 26 March 22 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I can't imagine crossing the North Atlantic in that thing - 25 people crammed into a 40-foot boat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/03/26/sparrow-hawk-pilgrim-ship-cape/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Researchers think they’ve found the last surviving Pilgrim ship
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 22 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I have seen John Cabot’s ship, well a replica I suppose ,at Edinburgh’s Tall Ships Festival .So tiny .
Crew all over 65,amazing .
Normally docked at Bristol ,it had sailed up the Irish Sea and I suppose round the top of Scotland to Leith
The last evening all the crews of the tall ships were aloft ,arms folded ,along the yard arms .
The largest was a Polish ship.
A wonderful sight .
Yes, I would not go on a boating pond in something the size of the Matthew which would be similar toThe  Mayflower and Speedwell .
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 22 23:44 GMT (UK) »
the Mayflower that carried the Pilgrims to America also carried the passengers from the sister ship, the Speedwell.

The Mayflower was about 80 feet long and carried 102 Pilgrims.

I've found an online newspaper that illustrates the Mayflower and the poor passengers.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/20/ahead-of-thanksgiving-day-2017-a-look-back-inside-the-mayflower/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 22 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Erato, thank for sharing.  I found it very interesting and now want to research the 'Pilgrim Fathers' a bit more.  Never really been a topic I've looked into.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 22 09:59 BST (UK) »
The Matthew replica is normally in the vicinity of the SS Great Britain, which also did a few transatlantic crossings, its last one under tow.

It was the subject of the first programme in the documentary series "Boats that Built Britain". At least some of it can be seen on YouTube.

Even if your family were all ag labs, the series tells you of the events which shaped their world.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 22 13:14 BST (UK) »
Mayflower was the first large airfix model I built. I asked for it as a birthday present because we were just doing that in history at school. It sat on a shelf in my bedroom from the age of eight until I joined the army at 15 1/2.

My brother then used it as a target for his airgun out in the garden. Supposedly to see the effects of shot against wooden ships despite it being plastic. I don't think it lasted very long.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)