Author Topic: Interpreting Y-DNA results  (Read 638 times)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Interpreting Y-DNA results
« on: Saturday 26 March 22 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted here, but wondering if anyone can help my understanding please.

I recently had my Y-DNA tested at 37 markers. I don't have any paternal line mysteries to solve, I just did it out of interest and, I guess, to confirm that my paternal (Hatfield) line, which goes back to Yorkshire in 1735, was correct.

I have 4 matches at 37 markers, all 1 step genetic distance (so none at zero), and all surnamed Hatfield, as you'd expect, or at least hope.

Then I have 103 matches at 25 markers:
  • 11 matches are "1 step", the rest are "2 step".
  • There isn't one Hatfield among them.
  • Matches come from all over the place - Ireland (9), England (7), Germany (5), Russian Federation (8 ), Sweden (6), Norway (5) and about 40 unstated. All pretty much as you'd expect I guess. But there are some other unexpected locations, including Palestinian territories, Pakistan and India.
  • Earliest known ancestors and surnames seem to pretty much reflect the same mix, so it doesn't seem like many matches moved to their present country recently. Even the matches in Pakistan and Palestine seem to have been there for some time (though the Indian match has clear British ancestry).
Out of interest, I want to try to better understand Y-DNA via these results.

(1) So I assume that anyone named Hatfield comes from a common ancestor in the Yorkshire line in maybe the last 800 years or so when surnames were in use. Because they are all 1 step genetic distance, there must have been a relatively recent mutation to separate them from me.

(2) The 25 marker matches must go back quite a long time (maybe 2,000-5,000 years?) to have spread so far and have so many different surnames.

Are these correct conclusions? Is there any more I can leanr from this information? Thanks for any thoughts that will help me understand more.

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Interpreting Y-DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 22 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,
   I am no expert by a long way, but when you read the posts on the FTDNA forums about Y-DNA results, the admins regularly say that anything below Y37 can be anything between 5-10 thousand years ago, so really not worth looking at and well outside the timescales when surnames started to come into usage.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 22 12:49 BST (UK) »
OK, that's further back than I thought. It's nevertheless interesting how much people have moved around.

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 22 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,

Based on your 37 STR markers what is your predicted Y-DNA haplogroup?

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 22 04:49 BST (UK) »
My predicted haplogroup is R-M198, but I must admit I don't understand Y haplogroups as well as mtDNA haplogroups.

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 22 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,

Y Haplogroup R-M198 is a major haplogroup formed about 14,000 years ago +/-3,200 yrs (www.haplogroup.org). It is found all over Eurasia so I am not surprised at the wide spread of Y-DNA matches at the lower 25 and 12  markers. Your terminal SNP is likely to be more refined than this. You should be able to refine your haplogroup by upgrading to 111 markers but you can get your definitive terminal SNP by upgrading to Y700. It is expensive but the price can be offset by waiting for one of the sales at Family Tree DNA. The fact that you have some Hatfield matches at 37 markers is good news but bear in mind that this is just an entry level test.

If you want to learn about Y-DNA I recommend that you visit the FT-DNA webinar series or watch some of the YouTubes by Dr Maurice Gleeson or Debbie Kennett.

Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,
Just to add that there is a Y-DNA surname project for Hatfield/Hartsfield on FTDNA, if you've not already discovered it.

On the direct paternal line of my family tree I also have the R-M198 haplogroup - the R1a project volunteers at FTDNA were helpful in understanding what the matches and individual markers meant.

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 00:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you to both of you for this information, it is very helpful. I have tried to read up on Y-DNA, but I don't think I've found the best references so far. But your suggestions will help.