Author Topic: Thomas Douglas of Yetholm  (Read 332 times)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Douglas of Yetholm
« on: Sunday 27 March 22 19:42 BST (UK) »
 On Scotlands people a birth entry reads .... Thomas Douglass.. Herd? in Shotton & Oliver Young his spouse had a son born and baptised 21 first James ... May 10 1805 Yetholm because of the old hand writing some of this is hard to read .. what I am thinking is 'herd' might mean (and I know he was a shepherd) that he lived in or near Yetholm but his sheep herd was in Shotton Northumberland ????
 He moved (with his family) up to Sutherland in about 1819 and is buried up there.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Douglas of Yetholm
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 22 18:08 BST (UK) »
'Herd' is the usual Scottish word for shepherd. I think he lived and worked at Shotton, but as it is not much more than half a mile from the border and from the nearest farm on the Scottish side, Yetholm Mains, the church in Kirk Yetholm is by far the nearest, compared with about 7 miles to Kirknewton
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 22 18:25 BST (UK) »
Worth noting, too, that Douglas and Young are among the most common names among the Yetholm gypsies. See

http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/articles/gypsies.html#.YkHuySjMKUk
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 18:10 BST (UK) »
Sunlaws .. thanks for that .. I did not know that Herd was scotish for shepperd. My Thomas Douglas married Oliver Young )Oliver died in Sutherland in 1855 and there is quite a long record on that death. Their oldest son William came to Canada in about 1839 ... and I am descended from that William (William married Hellen Paterson at Tongue Sutherland in 1824.
 Hence my Moms maiden name was Douglas
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.