Author Topic: US Census, 1950  (Read 2312 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: US Census, 1950
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 April 22 12:38 BST (UK) »
It should get indexed at some point.  I can't remember how long it took when the 1940 census was released, but I'm guessing within a month.

I've found a few people.  Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of "no one at home" in the enumeration district where I'd expect my husband's ancestors.  Maybe the census taker was lazy.   :(

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 April 22 12:44 BST (UK) »
So far this morning I've only found 2 households (NOT the 2 I am really, really hoping to find)-
1) my widowed grandmother, 3 unmarried daughters & a boarder. My aunt's first name has acquired an extra 'i' but even worse is my mother's occupation- she was working as a switchboard operator at this time but they've repeated her mother's occupation as private duty nurse!
2) aunt and uncle living on their boat (he had the extra questions and it says he was 'living in same house' previous year. Aunt's birthplace listed as England (she was born at sea) but although uncle's age (80) is correct her age is given as 5 yes FIVE and married.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 April 22 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Jumping in this thread, is there a way of finding out the Enumeration District number?  Trying to find my grandfather/great-grandfather's census record.

Oli

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 April 22 13:55 BST (UK) »
I had the enumeration district for one household so tried searching with that added to narrow down results but didn't seem to do any good.

Can anyone explain how to get to next page? found half a household at bottom of page but my 2 cousins should be at the top of next page (searching for them doesn't seem to find them either)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 April 22 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Jumping in this thread, is there a way of finding out the Enumeration District number?  Trying to find my grandfather/great-grandfather's census record.

Oli

This site makes it pretty easy - https://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html?msclkid=f780e7aab1ba11ecad1a36511dbe7386

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 April 22 16:37 BST (UK) »
a lot of "no one at home"

That's for sure.  I looked at pretty much every sheet for six townships in Marquette County, Wisconsin and there were dozens of 'not at homes,' many of which say, "see line xx on sheet yy."
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 April 22 16:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone explain how to get to next page? found half a household at bottom of page but my 2 cousins should be at the top of next page (searching for them doesn't seem to find them either)

I don't know if there's an easier way to do it, but note the enumeration district & sheet number that you're looking at.  Then start a new search for the enumeration district in that location and it should give you all the pages, and then you can skip ahead on the thumbnails at the bottom to get to the next page. 

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 April 22 17:45 BST (UK) »
"The enumerator was to number the sheets (pages) of the census form in order beginning with “1” (one). Nearly all Enumeration Districts could be completed on fewer than 70 pages. Persons enumerated out of order were counted on sheets beginning with the number “71.” Therefore, if a person is on a sheet numbered 71 or higher, the researcher will know that person was enumerated out of order for some reason that may be indicated on those sheets, or deduced from header information. Any “skipped” page numbers under 71 were not needed and not used."

https://1950census.archives.gov/howto/faq.html#missing

But how do you get to page 71?   For example:  On page 2, line 14 of ED 34-21, Langlade County, Wisconsin, it says, "no one home, O'Brien farm, see page 71, lines 21 to 26."  But there are only 23 pages and I can find no way to jump up to page 71.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 April 22 18:53 BST (UK) »
Is the 1950 census supposed to include Overseas locations (e.g. Europe, UK)? I can see the drop-down menu includes several American territories. What happens if one has a US citizen in their family tree that is serving with the military in the UK or Europe in 1950?  :-\  Were they included in census taking?