Author Topic: Catherine Graham, born 1901 Jarrow on Tyne  (Read 671 times)

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Graham, born 1901 Jarrow on Tyne
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 14:47 BST (UK) »
Yes those are Veronica's parents. I am missing their story between 1934 and the 1950s. I am particularly interested in Catherine Graham born 1901  as she was a spinster and left little trace, I have the 2 census for her, 1901 and 1911, then I have her name as informant on her mother's dc with an address in Troon. The fact  that she paid for her parents grave in 1948 indicates she had a means of supporting herself.
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 15:09 BST (UK) »
Catherine Graham, born 1901 Jarrow on Tyne, last seen 1957,  a spinster. I would like to find what happened to her after 1957, I believe she lived in Ayrshire
Catherine is still a mystery though as she was a spinster and the last address I have  for her is 1947. 
Which is correct - 1947 or 1957?

Catherine Graham' born 1901 Jarrow - I know she was a roman catholic and in 1947 was listed as a spinster. 
What is the source of that information?

The GROS started including the mother's maiden surname in the deaths indexes from 1974. There is no death of a Catherine Graham, mother's maiden name Coleman, in Scotland from 1974 onwards.

There are 23 deaths of Catherine Grahams, born 1901 plus or minus two years, between 1947 and 1973, of whom eight have no middle names. Only one died in Ayrshire: Catherine McLeod Graham or Thomson, in 1969, aged 70. However there is a marriage of William Graham to Catherine McLeod Thomson in Monkton and Prestwick in 1922, so I think you can safely dismiss her.

You could do a similar exercise with each of the other 22 to see whether they have two surnames, in other words they were married, and if so whether Graham was their maiden surname or their husband's surname, in which case you can discard them. Then cross-check the marriage index to find out when they were married, and dismiss any married before 1947 or 1957, whichever it is supposed to be. That should leave you with only one or two possibles, then you can decide which certificates you want to view. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 18:30 BST (UK) »
Catherine Graham, born 1901 Jarrow on Tyne, last seen 1957,  a spinster. I would like to find what happened to her after 1957, I believe she lived in Ayrshire
Catherine is still a mystery though as she was a spinster and the last address I have  for her is 1947. 
Which is correct - 1947 or 1957?

Catherine Graham' born 1901 Jarrow - I know she was a roman catholic and in 1947 was listed as a spinster. 
What is the source of that information?
Baptism record and grave purchase record

The GROS started including the mother's maiden surname in the deaths indexes from 1974. There is no death of a Catherine Graham, mother's maiden name Coleman, in Scotland from 1974 onwards.

There are 23 deaths of Catherine Grahams, born 1901 plus or minus two years, between 1947 and 1973, of whom eight have no middle names. Only one died in Ayrshire: Catherine McLeod Graham or Thomson, in 1969, aged 70. However there is a marriage of William Graham to Catherine McLeod Thomson in Monkton and Prestwick in 1922, so I think you can safely dismiss her.

You could do a similar exercise with each of the other 22 to see whether they have two surnames, in other words they were married, and if so whether Graham was their maiden surname or their husband's surname, in which case you can discard them. Then cross-check the marriage index to find out when they were married, and dismiss any married before 1947 or 1957, whichever it is supposed to be. That should leave you with only one or two possibles, then you can decide which certificates you want to view.
Thanks for the research  I believe she died between 1957 and 1974
And that she didn’t marry
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the research  I believe she died between 1957 and 1974
And that she didn’t marry
Well, I've suggested how you might go about narrowing the search for her death. It's up to you whether or not you want to do it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.