Author Topic: Quilliams Family  (Read 658 times)

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quilliams Family
« on: Wednesday 30 March 22 06:52 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather was John Quilliams. His daughter, my great grandmother, said that John was born on the Isle of Man and that she thought that he was illegitimate. He was born in 1806. I  found a christening record for a John Quilliam that was born in 1806 and he was illegitimate. The mother was Elizabeth Mylchreest and the father was only listed as Quilliam. The church is not listed on the record, so I don't know where they lived on the Isle of Man. John would have migrated to the U.S. in the mid to late 1820s. I'm stuck at this point and can't go back any further. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quilliams Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 08:01 BST (UK) »
The Isle of Man has an Historical Society.

Book published 1955 "Manx Settlement in USA. by R H Kenvig.

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I will check into the historical society.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 15:47 BST (UK) »
Are you registered on Family Search? It's free to register and access. This link is to an ecclesiastical court held at Patrick in 1806 and is good evidence of the identity of the parentage so it helps you to go further back with some certainty. Father: Thomas Quilliam of Marown, Mother: Elizabeth Mylchreest of German:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-899C-RD99?i=158&cat=2031034

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 15:58 BST (UK) »
Link to the baptism record image the church was Kirk German:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6LT9-V6R?i=93

Blue

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 16:37 BST (UK) »
Possibly, Elizabeth was subject to a Presentment for Fornication, before her vicar?
These are not online.

The Presentment was an ecclesiastical version of a Bastardy Order, enabling the parish to defray the costs of the child by getting the father to pay.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much,  Blue70. The Family Search information supports my dna results. It also explains why my John named his oldest son, Thomas. KGarrard, you may be correct. From what I've been able to find out, the IOM was more lenient towards the rights of illegitimate children than other places. But, my ancestor's life would still have been difficult, as it would have been anywhere at that time. He was very closed mouth about his past because he couldn't have owned land in the U.S. either at that time.  But, he left us a legacy of red hair that still appears after all those generations along with a farm and stream that bears his name. That is where I live today.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 22:00 BST (UK) »
Where in the USA did your John settle? I've been trying to find out what happened to Thomas Quilliam of Marown and found a Thomas Quilliam of Ballacallin, Marown who emigrated c1820s to Avon, Ohio. He died there in 1846 and his son Joseph petitioned the court at Marown in 1847 to sort out his estate. The son Joseph was baptised at Kirk German in 1826. I can see other baptisms for the family in Marown. This Thomas Quilliam married Carolina Catherine Clucas at Braddan in 1810 so just a few years after the birth of your John Quilliam. Here's a link to the documents for the 1847 probate case:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNX-699V-3?i=510&cat=234410

Blue

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 22 02:09 BST (UK) »
There could be some connection. My John eventually settled in the mountains of East Tennessee. But, he met his wife in Kentucky, up along the Ohio River. She was mixed Native American and white. Her father was an Indian trader. I don't know which tribe but I think it was Shawnee. I have very little in my dna. Her name was Polly Beesley. They followed her family down to a little town just above Chattanooga, Tn. At that time that area was controlled by ther Cherokee and the town was a trading town. When the removal started, they moved to the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee near Gatlinburg. There was a Guilliams/Quilliams family living there already but there is no relation and no Thomas. Your Thomas might have stayed in Kentucky/Ohio or he could have gone to Canada if he was connected to the Shawnee or other tribes at that time. Some Shawnee went to Canada. I have a lot of dna matches among the Native Americans in Canada.

Dean Rathbone