Author Topic: Quilliams Family  (Read 656 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quilliams Family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 March 22 08:35 BST (UK) »
KGarrard, you may be correct. From what I've been able to find out, the IOM was more lenient towards the rights of illegitimate children than other places.

That's not quite right.  ;)

The church was determined that an illegitimate child would not be a burden on the parish.
So, the purpose of the "Presentment for Fornication" was to persuade the mother to name the father of her child, so that he could pay for the child.
Failure to name the father resulted in a fine of 2s 11d!

The Presentments are available at the Manx Museum Archives.
They are hand-written, and in pencil. There is no index!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 March 22 10:46 BST (UK) »
I'm finding it difficult finding your Quilliams in the USA on Family Search. I hoped I could find out more through the USA records but no luck. There are descendents in the USA of the Quilliam(s) family of Avon, Ohio if John's father did emigrate they would be of interest. One of the descendents Claire posted some information in this discussion below and there may be family trees out there. It would be interesting to see if they think their Thomas was your John's father:

http://www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/manx_archive_1.pl/md/read/id/15982

Good luck,

Blue

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 March 22 15:24 BST (UK) »
I found a record where Thomas eventually married Elizabeth. They lived in Peel and he died in Peel. So, my John must have come alone or possibly as a soldier to Canada. I'm wondering whether my John ever became a citizen of the U.S. He never appeared on any voting lists.