Author Topic: Edward George Hill  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward George Hill
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 20:42 BST (UK) »
I have checked census after 1891 to see if he was living with any of his siblings in Ontario or maybe near them, but his name doesn't come up. I have checked marriage and death records but although Edward Hill  comes up there is nothing to connect him to my Hill family. His brother Richard was my great grandfather.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 21:50 BST (UK) »
The Edward in the 1861 was not Edward Faull Hill - he was Edward Hill b 1853 mmn Tresize

Edward Faull Hill was b 1854 - mmn Faull

www.freebmd.org.uk &. www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 22:13 BST (UK) »
I cannot understand why a child aged 4 would emigrate to Canada while both parents were still alive & living with their other children in Cornwall.  Makes no sense

Richard & Elizabeth married 1850 - Edward was b 1876/77 - a long time after

The block christenings of some of the older children may have resulted in an assumption that he was the child of Richard & Elizabeth

If he was Richard & Elizabeth’s son -  why are there birth registrations for all their other children with mmn Tresize etc but none for Edward??

I still feel he is the illegitimate son of Elizabeth hence the emigration
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 23:03 BST (UK) »
Well you may be right and for a long time that is what I suspected. But I have to go by the baptismal record that says he is the son of Richard and Elizabeth. The reason why he came to Canada probably with his brother Richard and Grace may be by 1877 his parents, who had 11 other children, may have been too old to raise a young son and the opportunity in Canada would have seemed much greater.
So until I can find a record of his birth I will continue to list him as a son of Richard and Elizabeth in my family tree.
However my main direction now is to try and find out what happened to him. He did come to Canada, he is in the 1881 census that much is known for sure and I would love to know if he ever married, where he lived and worked and when and where he died.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 March 22 07:55 BST (UK) »
Rodger, I believe that Richard born sq 1859 Helston with mother's maiden name as Trezise is the brother of Elizabeth Hill born jq 1852 Helston mmn Trezise. This ties in nicely with the 1881 Canadian census.
Where I differ from what has been already posted in some of the research is I think he is the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Hill. His birth as below and already posted.

HILL, EDWARD       -  No mother's maiden name strongly suggests  he is illegitimate
GRO Reference: 1877  J Quarter in HELSTON  Volume 05C  Page 204

I know that it "appears" he was baptised with siblings in 1879 the son of Richard & Elizabeth Trezise this I think is incorrect and assumptions/cover up were made at the time.

If your finances allow I would strongly suggest you purchase that birth record to establish who his mother was as it will leave some doubt in your research/tree to the actual relationships.

John

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 March 22 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Rodger,
I have found one fellow that might be who you are after, although not a perfect match.

You have Edward George Hill born 1877, and this fellow is George Edward Hill, who believes his birth date to be 16 Apr 1876, and born Helston, Cornwall. He served in WW1.

Army records are here: https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B4350-S033
They are slow to load, and many pages are "over-digitized" and hard to read.

Going from memory, I think he was a mechanic by trade.  It will be on the first page.

Page 37 of 80 states born Cornwall, separated from wife Ellen Louise and has four children:

John Edward, age 11
George William, age 9
Elizabeth Wilhelmina, age 7
James Frederick, age 5
The page with the children was dated 1916.

Page 38 of 80 states both parents are deceased.

Page 65 0f 80  states birth town/city of Helston, dob 16 Apr 1876

The next of kin was William Bollman (or Bullman). He was listed as trustee, as George's army will leaves his assets to the children.  William is brother to the estranged wife, Ellen Louise.

A quick search of the family in the 1911 census did not reveal them.
There was a 1916 census, and the children are living with William Bullman, and William's mother, Wilhelmina. 
Three of the children are still with William in the 1921 census.

After the war, George Edward applied for a soldier's land grant in Abee, Alberta. (He enlisted in the army in Edmonton, Alberta).

The birth dates of the children (born Manitoba) can be searched here: https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

I had a hard time finding Elizabeth,so will include her here. Her middle name was misspelled and transcribed as follows:
Elizabeth Wilhilmena Hill
28 Dec 1908
Rapid City, Manitoba, Canada

If you think this is the right family, I, or others, can expand on it, as there is marriages etc for the children.  The last sighting of this George was Abee, Alberta, and unfortunately, Alberta is one of the more "difficult" provinces to find BMD's in.

Edited to add:
In the 1901 census, Rapid City, Manitoba, George E. Hill, born 16 Apr 1876, working at farming. Immigration year to Canada was 1880, so age 4.  Single (he married Ellen Louise Eliza Bollman in 1904)

In the 1921 census, George lists himself as single, and farming in Abee, Alberta. He is living alone.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 March 22 13:44 BST (UK) »
bbart, good find, it could well be our man. Quote from your post

"A quick search of the family in the 1911 census did not reveal them."

Look for HELEN Hill, Marquette, Manitoba, Canada.

Whilst his year of birth is 1 year out the jq quarter in which he says is his birth date took place fits well with the birth as previously posted in 1877.

John

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 March 22 16:35 BST (UK) »

I had a hard time finding Elizabeth,so will include her here. Her middle name was misspelled and transcribed as follows:
Elizabeth Wilhilmena Hill
28 Dec 1908
Rapid City, Manitoba, Canada

Great stuff bbart -

FIND A GRAVE with obituary attached.

Wilhelmina Elizabeth Mulvey Stuart - 28 December 1908 Rapid City, Western Manitoba Census Division, Manitoba, Canada.
Death Date 3 Dec 2003 Vernon, North Okanagan Regional District, British Columbia, Canada
Cemetery:   Vernon Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place Vernon, North Okanagan Regional District, British Columbia, Canada
Spouse Robert Thompson Stuart.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rf1/

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/20257347/Wilhelmina-Stuart

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 March 22 16:50 BST (UK) »

George William Hill - Birth Date 9 Jul 1907   Rapid City, Manitoba, Canada
Mother Ellen Bollman.

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

George William Hill - George W Hill Birth Date 7 Jul 1907 Rapid City M, Canada
Death Date 1 Jul 1993
Father George E Hill - Mother Ellen L Long.

FIND A GRAVE

Pinecrest Memorial Park and Garden MausoleumAlexander, Saline County, Arkansas.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rf2/

1930 census Alcester, Union, South Dakota.

Peter E Long 43   Head.
Ellen L Long 45   Wife. Born Canada. Imm 1914. NA. Parents born Germany.
George W Hill   22   Stepson (Step Son) Imm 1919. NA.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada