Author Topic: Exploring Romany links to Ellis family  (Read 918 times)

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Exploring Romany links to Ellis family
« on: Wednesday 30 March 22 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum whilst doing some family research on my great-grandmother Sarah Jane Ellis (b 1891)'s family. There have been family rumours that she came from a Romany background, which stem from a family story of her running away with a Romany boyfriend. She and the rest of her siblings and her mother were working as tin makers, and her father was an ostler, which I've read were traditional Romany professions at the time. They are from East London (Newington, Walworth, Limehouse, Poplar, Bethnal Green and Mile End are all locations that appear regularly on their Ancestry family tree). One other thing that struck out for me was that her mother, who was a Saward, has Mile End Green as her birth location and as I understand it, Romany births were often registered as being on greens, under bridges, by roadsides or simply no fixed abode.

I was wondering if anyone here could confirm the Romany rumours or give further hints as to Romany links in the family being likely.

Thank you!
Ireland: Collins, Shinnick, Mahony, Fitzpatrick, Deady, Leary, Murphy, Carroll, Brien, McCarthy

England (Romany): Ellis, Young, Smith, Knight, Lanskford, Davey, Boswell, Throughgood, Cocket, Tolley, Lovell, Harris, Brown

Scotland: McGhie, Laurie, Douglass, Alston, Calderhead, Weir, Mcashlan

France: Dulieu, Rouviere, Correge, Chauderon, Tixier, Gilbert, Perrot, Galipeau, Besnard

Germany & Holland: Van Slyk, Van Vranken, Hansz, Kernin, Ohrendorff, Peltzer, Heyn, Getman

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring Romany links to Ellis family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 22 10:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Was your ancestor a Gypsy?

http://rtfhs.org.uk/gypsy_identity/

Look out for Romany surnames, unusual forenames.
Typical travellers occupations.
Living in caravans or tents in a Census.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 22 11:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

Were the parents Joseph and Sarah living in Newington in 1911 - Joseph married Sarah Jane Davey in 1884

ELLIS, SARAH  JANE     Mothers maiden surname DAVEY 
GRO Reference: 1891  June Quarter in ST SAVIOUR LONDON  Volume 01D  Page 102
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 22 14:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

Were the parents Joseph and Sarah living in Newington in 1911 - Joseph married Sarah Jane Davey in 1884

ELLIS, SARAH  JANE     Mothers maiden surname DAVEY 
GRO Reference: 1891  June Quarter in ST SAVIOUR LONDON  Volume 01D  Page 102

That would be them!  :)
Ireland: Collins, Shinnick, Mahony, Fitzpatrick, Deady, Leary, Murphy, Carroll, Brien, McCarthy

England (Romany): Ellis, Young, Smith, Knight, Lanskford, Davey, Boswell, Throughgood, Cocket, Tolley, Lovell, Harris, Brown

France: Dulieu, Rouviere, Correge, Chauderon, Tixier, Gilbert, Perrot, Galipeau, Besnard

Germany & Holland: Van Slyk, Van Vranken, Hansz, Kernin, Ohrendorff, Peltzer, Heyn, Getman

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 22 16:55 BST (UK) »
What information does Mary Sawards marriage to John Ellis give for her father
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 March 22 18:05 BST (UK) »
What information does Mary Sawards marriage to John Ellis give for her father

Her father was John Yetton (born 1800) and her mother was Sarah Tolley (born 1802). I know John Yetton was half French, as his mother was the daughter of Hugenot silk weavers from Spitalfields (originally from Brittany).

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 22 18:06 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Was your ancestor a Gypsy?

http://rtfhs.org.uk/gypsy_identity/

Look out for Romany surnames, unusual forenames.
Typical travellers occupations.
Living in caravans or tents in a Census.

Tony

Thank you! I will have a dig around.

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 22 19:26 BST (UK) »
I have done further research and have found several confirmations of Romany heritage including new surnames that appear in our tree such as Boswell, Young, Knight and Smith which as I understand are common Romany names. They were mostly ostlers, green grocers, fire wood cutters, tin makers, tannery workers and hawkers. My great grandmother's grandmother was also sharing a boarding house with other travellers at one point.

The only parts of the family I'm drawing a blank on are the Lanksfords, who married in, and the furthest I've got to is Joseph Lanksford who was born in 1776 in Bromley, Kent.