Author Topic: Newark marriage 1792  (Read 301 times)

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newark marriage 1792
« on: Friday 01 April 22 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Can anyone tell me whether the marriage registers exist for Newark St Mary that comprise the printed forms used from 1754?  I have checked the indexes at FindMyPast and Familysearch, also FreeReg entries, all of which confirm this marriage took place, but I have been unable to find the specific info I need regarding the 1792 marriage.  I am trying to ascertain whether George Harrison was a widower when he married Ann Pailing in 1792, the names of the witnesses, whether George was of the parish or from elsewhere and if signed his name or made a mark.
Thanks, Carolyn

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newark marriage 1792
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 22 04:43 BST (UK) »
The registers for St Mary's Newark are conspicuous by their abscence.
As you say, many of the usual sites have transcriptions - I think many of these are from a Phillimores printed book. But nobody has the actual register.
It may well be still held at the church -  a few still are, or at Nottingham Record Office, although I had a search on their catalogue and didn't find any mention of it.

However, familysearch DO have a film of the Bishop's Transcripts, which is locked, so only viewable at an LDS library or affiliate library.
Luckily my local library is an affiliate library, so I had at a look at it today.
Here is the part with their marriage listed.
Although it seems to give no further information, it is interesting to note it seems not to have been by licence. Several others on other pages say 'lic' next to them. This means it was probably by banns.
Quite often, widowers obtained a licence to marry a subsequent wife. I can't say this was a hard and fast rule though, so I wouldn't take it as a solid piece of evidence he wasn't a widower.

Perhaps an email to Nottingham Record Office, and St Mary's church themselves might be the next step to see if they can shed any light on where the registers are.

Added:
So for some reason the attachment button is not working - perhaps it's because this post is on a Lookups board. I don't know.
If you'd like to send me a PM with your email address, I can send it to you.
You are not allowed to post personal email addresses on these posts.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 22 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie,
Thank you so much for your response.  I have sent you a PM, or at least I think I have!
Carolyn

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 April 22 06:09 BST (UK) »
In case anyone is interested, I heard back from the Notts Archives, and they do have the marriage registers for Newark St Mary, with the printed form entries.  I was able to order copies of four marriages for 12 pounds.
Carolyn