Author Topic: Irish Prison Records 1797-1798  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Prison Records 1797-1798
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 April 22 23:46 BST (UK) »
HI I am trying to find any information on Prisoners who were in NEWGATE 1798 and previous I have these records from the SPP.  On Find My Past the records for Newgate are 1845-1861.

My research mainly involves the various places that prisoners were place on board the "Lively" tender/barque with Captain Christopher DOBSON as I am tracking the movements of my ancestor who was tried in Athy in 1797.  I am unable to find out as yet his prison place between Athy and Dublin??

The Lively went from Dublin to Cork and the convicts were place on board the "Minerva". 

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-2286124355/view.

I see Farrell Cuffe was one of the convicts named in the petition.
It says near the start of the petition that they had been in Newgate prison. Then they were on the "Lively" for 12 weeks "where they remain". Later it says their health has been affected "after 2 years confinement". Is that correct? I wasn't able to read every word.
I couldn't see a date on the petition. If Farrell Cuffe was convicted in 1797 and had been imprisoned for 2 years by the time of the petition, it must have been 1799 or later. Prisons would have been more overcrowded than usual, as a consequence of rebellions in 1798. 
When did Farrell Cuff arrive in Australia?
Prisoners remaining on a ship for a long time before transportation was mentioned in the article on the Cork Shipwrecks site. (Reply eight) They weren't convict hulks, just ordinary ships used to transport prisoners.

You have several related threads about Michael Byrne and other convicts. Could you please post links to relevant ones so that people know what you've already got and which sources you've investigated?

Cowban

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 April 22 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi seaweed
     I've been trying to find records of the Lively on Lloyds and could not find anything. I went to the website but nothing came up for the LIVELY or DOBSON.  Would it be possible to send me the link/s you used and how you discovered it please.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 April 22 21:11 BST (UK) »
HI Maiden Stone
    I will re look at the records with Farrell Cuffe, there is a newspaper report for him being found guilty to see if I can find the date.  Farrell Cuffe was sent out here too on the Minerva, a lot of dealings with Michael and was a witness to his marriage in 1822 Sydney.  Farrell Cuffe was a school teacher here.  It seems as though Farrell came from Offaly originally, this is where Michaels origins could be from my researching Michaels brother William.  I will look over the link I sent and the newspaper report/s and see if there is a date.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 April 22 21:24 BST (UK) »
HI Again yes it does say 2 years and these documents are dated 22 Nov 1798 to Dublin Castle and Oct 1798.

In the newspaper April 26, 1797 - Saunders Newsletter + Advertiser Farrell Cuffe was found Guilty of Defenderism.  This could have been held at the gaol perhaps from reading the snippet. Will dig more into this.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 April 22 21:38 BST (UK) »
Farrell Cuffe Snippet

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 April 22 21:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry I've attached the wrong snippet.  Supposed to be from the newspaper.  Back to the drawing board.  LOL

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hope this worked this time.  LOL Dianna

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 21:40 BST (UK) »
Where did the dates October 1798 and 22nd November 1798 come from in Reply #12?
Is the snippet in Reply #13 the end of the letter of petition in your opening post or a different letter? The bottom of the page may be missing from the document in your opening post. The final name in the list on the document linked in your opening post is Michael Mitchel. There are 2 names below his on Reply #13.
Cowban

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi seaweed
     I've been trying to find records of the Lively on Lloyds and could not find anything. I went to the website but nothing came up for the LIVELY or DOBSON.  Would it be possible to send me the link/s you used and how you discovered it please.  Many thanks Dianna

Hello,
Link sent via your PM
regards
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022