Author Topic: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have this family in the 1861 census.

Andrew McLeod age 44 born 1817 is head and a fisherman.
Ann age 38 born 1823 wife
Dolina age 18, James age 14, Duncan age 12, Ann age 10, Andrew 8, Thomas 6, and Helen 4 all born in Nigg ROC. 

I believe Andrew's parents are Andrew McLeod born 1796- and Elizabeth (Betsy) McLeod born 1 May 1804 - 1887 Nigg - Elizabeth (Betsy) McLeod's parents are Robert McLeod and Helen Dingwall.

Andrew's sister Ann has a son Alexander 07 JAN 1864 Spott,East Lothian,Scotland.  Not sure how I figured that out.  I believe Andrew's younger brother Andrew died in 1816 in Nigg ROC.

I haven't been able to find anything more on this family and would appreciate any help.  Thanking you in advance.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 22 04:42 BST (UK) »

Is this your family?

Ancestry Census Scotland 1861  Balnapailing   Ross and Cromarty

ROSS Andrew   44y  fisherman   
ROSS Ann        38y
ROSS Dolina     18y
ROSS James     14y   fisherman
ROSS Duncan   12y
ROSS Ann        10y
ROSS Andrew    8y
ROSS Thomas    6y
ROSS Helen       4y

all born Nigg Rosshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 22 09:54 BST (UK) »
Did you get that census from FindMyPast? FindMyPast has them listed as McLeod not Ross.

SP indexes them as Ross.

The original document lists them as Ross. I have sent an error correction to FindMyPast.

They are also in Nigg in 1851 as Ross.

They sort of match the children of Andrew Ross and Ann M(a)cLeod who are in the SP indexes
Dollie, baptised 1841
Ann, 1844
Donald, 1848
Duncan, 1849
Ann, 1851
Andrew, 1854

So unless Andrew changed his surname from M(a)cLeod to Ross, you appear to be climbing the wrong tree? Which would explain why you can't find anything more about them.

The IGI also lists a William Ross, born 4 February 1857.

Ann Ross or McLeod, aged 90, died in Nigg in 1908, no mother's surname indexed.

Andrew Ross, 88, mother's maiden surname McCronnachie, died in Nigg in 1897.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 22 13:48 BST (UK) »
1871 census lists in Nigg Betsy McLeod, unmarried, 67; Ann McLeod, daughter, unmarried, 29 and grandson Alexander McLeod, aged 7, all born Nigg, Ross and Cromarty.

Is that the Alexander you said was born in Spott, East Lothian? If so, what is your evidence for him being the same Alexander McLeod?

Betsy MacLeod, mother's maiden surname Dingwall, died in Nigg in 1887, aged 82.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 22 17:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, I obtained the 1861 census from FindMyPast.com.  The confusion between McLeod and Ross does explain a lot.  I had only the McLeod census records for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, etc..  Thanks for drawing my attention to that.  I will correct my records.  If Andrew is not a McLeod then the parents are wrong too, etc..

Regarding some other Andrew McLeod with a sister Ann McLeod having a son Alexander.  I will have to go over the evidence for that again but suspect a census record must have indicated a birth location for Ann.

I've been adding the census info into my tree and for those that don't have death info trying to find it in Scotland's People or elsewhere.

Also, thank you Forforian for posting further details.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 22 18:09 BST (UK) »
If I were you I would be making a complaint to FindMyPast.

This is a first class Grade A top quality example of why one should never, ever, trust transcriptions or indexes - use them only as a pointer for finding the original documents.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 22 23:07 BST (UK) »
I probably won't do that because I downloaded the transcriptions on a "free" weekend.  The actual image would have been available to subscribers.

I have come across some hand written "Clan Ross Genealogy" family trees for Ross various branches, MacCulloch, and Munro (1369-1662) at the Tain & District Museum https://www.tainmuseum.org.uk/object_collection.php?id=16   I hope this info may help others.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 22 01:18 BST (UK) »

You are researching the origins of this James McLEOD, your direct ancestor? -

"I have been investigating James Campbell McLEOD (also spelt MacLEOD) of Nigg, ROC.  He married Elizabeth FRASER (2 May 1868, Nigg - bef 1924) on 25 Dec 1891 in Logie-Easter, ROC."

From Ancestry family tree I see -

Son Alexander John McLEOD was born 1893.

His mother Elizabeth McLEOD nee FRASER died 1893.

James McLEOD did not marry again.

Who raised Alexander John McLEOD?

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 April 22 02:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for inquiring.  My direct ancestor is Alexander McLeod born in Nigg in 1772.  I don't know when or where he died but presume it was somewhere close to Duffus, Moray (I have no proof of that).  He was a 21 year veteran solider in the 71st Highland Foot Reg., had a gun shot wound in the Peninsula War, and fought at Waterloo.  Besides being a tailor, I have seen some references to him being a 'Writer'.

I have been investigating all McLeods who lived in Easter Ross because his eldest daughter Ann McLeod married Andrew McLeod in Nigg ROC.  The result of this marriage and many others between McLeods means a lot of them are inter-related.

I don't know who raised Alexander John McLeod.