Author Topic: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 10:13 BST (UK) »
I have 6 Caroline McLeods but only two that might fit.  Most likely, Caroline Baillie McLeod born 9 Aug 1830 in Tain ROC to William McLeod and Jane Manson.  Less likely, Caroline Ross McLeod born 24 Sep 1818 who married William Munro in Tain ROC 28 Apr 1847.
If it's any help, the birth of Caroline's son Alexander was registered by Catherine McLeod, aunt.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 11:12 BST (UK) »
I'm still confused.

What is the connection (if there is one) between Alexander McLeod 1826-1875 and James Campbell Macleod?

Whom did Alexander McLeod 1826-1875 marry? Have you found him in any census? Where did he die?

A tailor is a skilled artisan who would have had to serve an apprenticeship with a master tailor and become qualified. A writer is a solicitor, a professional man who would have had to undergo extensive training as a lawyer. It is very difficult to imagine one man serving two long apprenticeships to two such different occupations. So if I were you I would want to know where the person who told you that got the information from.

Was it the same person who suggested that the birth of Ann McLeod's son Alexander was registered in Tain in 1864 (which we have already shown to be incorrect)?

Where did you find the record of Alexander McLeod's birth in 1772? It isn't in the parish records at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 13:18 BST (UK) »
I think it would be an idea to do a timeline of your direct ancestors (proven/verified) up to where the brick wall begins?

Otherwise this is dartboard research, taking a stab at anyone with the surname M(a)cLeod in R & C.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 17:38 BST (UK) »
As I am totally confused, I will split these threads up.

The Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) is closed as the 1861 census incorrectly used McLeod rather than Ross as surname.

Loose ends.

1.  Not all McLeods come from Skye.  Eastern Ross and Cromarty in particular had two notable MacLeod families.  MacLeod of Geanies and MacLeod of Cadboll both descendants of MacLeods of Assynt.  MacLeod of Cadboll was connected through marriage to MacLeods of Harris and MacKenzie.

2.  The Aunt Catherine who registered the birth of Caroline's son is likely her sister born in 1819 and died 1876 in Tain.

3.  Caroline Ross McLeod (1818-1863 Inverness) who married William Munro in Tain was a 1st cousin of Caroline Baillie McLeod.  Their respective fathers Thomas McLeod and William McLeod were brothers.  Grandparents of both were John McLeod and Catherine Skinner.  This John McLeod had a brother Angus McLeod who married Jane McKay and they had a son John McLeod 16 Feb 1785 Dornoch - 20 Jan 1858 Tain ROC, who headed another Tain family Donald McKay McLeod.  These McLeod aren't connected to mine at the moment but it is very likely I'll find a connection.

4.  I'll post my own family as a separate thread - the McLeods wove this inter-connected web not me.