Author Topic: John Powell + Jane Price - marriage date? late 1700s early 1800s  (Read 588 times)

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Powell + Jane Price - marriage date? late 1700s early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 April 22 06:16 BST (UK) »
I have looked in the National Archives for a Will for Jane Price (her maiden name) to match my Jane Powell, but no luck. She probably was a Mrs Powell and not common-law.

Her son Horatio Nelson Powell Esq, bpt 1806, was the well known steeplechase rider c1830s-1850s. From newspaper reports he sounds like a daredevil and man-about-town; he moved to Australia in his late 50s, where his sister had earlier moved, and here he appeared to be equally daredevil and now a bit of a scoundrel. He touted himself as having been a lawyer at Gray's Inn in London, and one newspaper article indicates it's possible he was practicing in London for a period. Although it appears he certainly got around as he was still steeplechase riding around Wales and Cheltenham in the 40s and early 50s.

A 1851 census has his match living in Camden Town, in Albert Street and married (though he seems to have had several 'wives'). This is close to Gray's Inn and only a couple of miles away is the hospital at Mile End.

So, Colin, my theory lies heavier with the newspaper notice of Jane Powell dying in London in 1845 (Mile End Road, widow of late solicitor in Abergavenny), but I'll note your other Jane Powell dying in 1849 and include it as a chance. My friend's family can chase up the death certificates if they are so inclined.

Thank you for trying to find the John Powell and Jane Price marriage :) The mystery remains at this point.
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 22 11:24 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry there are two UK, Articles of Clerkship, 1756-1874 relating to Horatio Nelson Powell of Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, dated 9 Jun 1824  & 15 Feb 1827. They are not easy reading but it is possible to see a few names.

The first relates to an agreement between John Smith & John Price of ?? in Monmouthshire and his nephew Horatio. The second is slightly more complex but it is an agreement between William Price a Gentleman of Abergavenny and John Price of Lanfoyst, Monmouthshire an Attorney in the first part and aforesaid nephew Horatio Nelson Powell late of Abergavenny but now of Berkekey, Glos. In the second part and Daniel Croome, attorney of Berkeley in the third part etc etc.

Also on Ancestry there are two marriages for a Horatio Nelson Powell In Gloucestershire 1826 in Berkeley & 1851 Rodborough; the latter notes he was a widower and cloth worker. Father Joseph Powell cloth worker, There is also a will for this Horatio he died 23 Dec 1874, he was born 1801.

There are other records for the name in the USA & Australia, which I am unable to view.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 April 22 12:07 BST (UK) »
Not the marriage but John died 1822

03 July 1822 - Hereford Journal

Key points.

At Wysam Cottage near Monmouth in the 48th year of his age
Serious and afflicting illness
Pious resignation to the Will of Providence
Mr John Powell, formerly of Abergavenny, solicitor
Characteristic qualities of this gentleman cannot be too dearly appreciated
Gentleman like conduct, uprightness of heart
Affectionate Husband and father
Truly sincere friend
By the poor beloved
By the rich respected
Disconsolate widow and family, loss deplored

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 April 22 12:21 BST (UK) »
Weird
An almost identical notice

16 August 1809 - Hereford Journal

Also for John Powell in 48th year of his age,
But this one “at Brecon, Solicitor of that place”

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 April 22 12:59 BST (UK) »
Weird
An almost identical notice

16 August 1809 - Hereford Journal

Also for John Powell in 48th year of his age,
But this one “at Brecon, Solicitor of that place”

There are more John Powells in Monmouthshire than you can poke a stick at! There's a John Powell solicitor in both Brecon and Abergavenny. I saw both their obituaries, and thought could be the 1822 one, since John Powell wrote his Will in 1820. But then, it wasn't proved until 1827 which is a long wait. Jane his wife was executrix and beneficiary and part of the benefit was receiving rents from occupied properties; maybe she didn't need to hurry...

John's death can only be theory, no real proof. You'd think he'd be buried in Abergavenny but I haven't found anything. (I can only do online).

Thanks for looking :)

Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 April 22 13:22 BST (UK) »

Also on Ancestry there are two marriages for a Horatio Nelson Powell In Gloucestershire 1826 in Berkeley & 1851 Rodborough; the latter notes he was a widower and cloth worker. Father Joseph Powell cloth worker, There is also a will for this Horatio he died 23 Dec 1874, he was born 1801.

There are other records for the name in the USA & Australia, which I am unable to view.
Colin

Re. The marriage, I found this thread today and commented on it re Horatio and the Berkley marriage.

That would be his marriage because, as I comment, his 1869 death certificate (BDM Victoria) bears the name of wife 'Susan Jenner'. Though I haven't found out what happened to Susan/Susannah. Horatio may have been the ladies man: he was 63 when he died but his partner was 37, she was either married or widowed. He left her insolvent, with huge debts. She died 2 years later.

I have my Horatio's will from Public Records Office Victoria. He was going to leave his sister 50 pounds but made a new will which said he now wouldn't be leaving her anything because of her and her family's attitude last time he saw them. He was huffy!

By the sounds of it, with a business partner dumping him, with him being sued for slander, with known past gambling habits getting him again sued and a sister rejecting him in some way (probably wouldn't lend him money)... Things weren't going well for Horatio.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=245684.0

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 April 22 13:36 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry there are two UK, Articles of Clerkship, 1756-1874 relating to Horatio Nelson Powell of Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, dated 9 Jun 1824  & 15 Feb 1827. They are not easy reading but it is possible to see a few names.

The first relates to an agreement between John Smith & John Price of ?? in Monmouthshire and his nephew Horatio. The second is slightly more complex but it is an agreement between William Price a Gentleman of Abergavenny and John Price of Lanfoyst, Monmouthshire an Attorney in the first part and aforesaid nephew Horatio Nelson Powell etc
Colin

Thanks Colin, that gives me names, and a place, on Jane's side of the family. I suspected there were lawyers on both sides of the family from another reference I found that confirmed John Powell, Horatio's dad, was at one time in legal practice with John Price. At the time I speculated that John Price might be Jane's brother. So many Johns, Powells and Prices! 

Also, the article of clerkship confirms that Horatio wasn't confabulating in Australia when he touted himself as a lawyer. I did suspect him of gilding the lily: he could be that sort of guy :)

You might find it interesting to know that Horatio, through his sister's offspring, was uncle of a fairly famous explorer of Australia: William Ernest Giles. Another slightly eccentric Englishman in the colonies.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 April 22 14:36 BST (UK) »
Horatio Nelson Powell married Susanna Jenner (Transcribed Tenner)
22 Nov 1826 Berkeley, Gloucestershire, it notes Horatio had his mother Jane Powell's consent.
Witnesses John & Caroline Spiers plus Henry Clark

Children of Horatio Nelson & Susanna
Father noted as Esquire of Berkeley on John’s then Solicitor Chipping Sodbury.

John Powell   Baptism 24 Mar 1828   Berkeley
Mary Powell   Baptism 1 Jan 1830   Berkeley
Horatio Nelson Powell   Baptism 2 Jan 1832   Stone

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 April 22 15:23 BST (UK) »
This looks like John & his mother in 1861, Susanna noted as Widowed.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M72J-YQ1

Susanna Jenner   Christening 17 June 1797 Berkeley, Gloucestershire
Parents Henry Jenner, Susanna

Henry Jenner:   To Susannah Pearce
Marriage Date:   13 Dec 1792
Marriage Place:   Stone, Gloucestershire, England
Parish as it Appears:   Berkeley

Deaths Dec 1870   
Powell    Susannah    72    Cheltenham    6a   320

Colin