Author Topic: Search for Mary Consterdine  (Read 894 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Search for Mary Consterdine
« on: Sunday 03 April 22 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello

Mary Consterdine married William Hough 16 Dec 1873 in Manchester. She appears in later census with him and her children and it states born Scotland or born Dumfries, Scotland. On the marriage record her father is named as David Consterdine.
There is a Mary Consterdine born and baptised at a similar time in Lancashire, with David as her father, but it’s not the same person - this one goes on to marry a Charles McKnight

Is anyone able to find my Mary Consterdine in Scotland please? I assume the surname spelling may vary. Hoping someone can help

Thanks
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Search for Mary Consterdine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 22 10:31 BST (UK) »
When, approximately, was she born?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 22 11:41 BST (UK) »
1881 has her aged 30 so approx 1851

1891 - 1849 Dumfries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 22 12:24 BST (UK) »
Well, I used the quick people search on SP for c*n*s*d*n* and there are 105 in the census, not including a David.

29 of these are Consterdines, and the earliest of these is a 12-year-old Sarah Consterdine in the 1871 census.

There are no Mary Consterdines at all, but 13 Mary Considines, of whom just three are before 1881
1861, age 4, Edinburgh - daughter of Patrick
1871, age 13, Edinburgh - daughter of Patrick
1871, age 32, Dundee - wife of Jeremiah

The earliest Consterdine birth is 1942, the earliest marriage 1965, and the earliest death 1918.

The online catalogue of the National Records of Scotland mentions just one Consterdine, in 1989.

So I have to admit to being stumped.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 April 22 13:15 BST (UK) »
If you check each of their first 3 children's births on GRO online - mmn is CONSIDINE

William Charles - 1874
Mary Ann - 1877
Isabella - 1879

EDIT - also Elizabeth Alice b 1882 - mmn Considine

Mary's birthyear in 1901 is 1846 Scotland

In 1911 - 1845 Dumfries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 April 22 15:26 BST (UK) »
What was David's occupation according to Mary's marriage certificate? And who were the witnesses?

The only slight chink of light might be a David Consterdine, aged 10, born Scotland, in the 1861 census in Nottingham. In 1851 he's with parents Joseph and Ann Consterdine in Mansfield.

Could Joseph and Mary's father David possibly be connected in some way?

Joseph's age in 1851 is recorded as 27 and he is an engineer, born Clown, Derbyshire. There's a baptism of Joseph, son of David and Elizabeth Consterdine, in Clowne, Derbyshire, on 22 November 1823.

David Consterdine, 61, born Clowne, is in the census in 1861 in Nottingham with a wife and two stepchildren aged 20 and 21. In 1851 he's a widower, at Point Court, Nottingham. In 1841, in Point Court, is D... Constandine, 42, not born in county, with Elizabeth, 41 and Joseph, Abraham, Isaac and Selina. The D... is indexed as Daniel, and I can see that it looks like that, but it could also be deciphered as David. He is described as an engineer.

Speculation. Is it possible that Mary's father David was Joseph's brother, and that both brothers went to work in Scotland for a couple of years, perhaps on a contract, taking their wives, and both having a child born while they were there? As they were clearly English, such children could have been baptised in an Episcopal church, the records of which are not in the care of the National Records of Scotland and therefore not on Scotland's People?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 22 15:32 BST (UK) »
She's 26 on her marriage cert in December 2873 - b.c. 1847. Father, David, a Farmer.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 22 15:34 BST (UK) »
Father, David, a Farmer.
Oh, well that scuppers my bit of speculation then.

Back to ye olde drawing boarde.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 April 22 15:36 BST (UK) »
Had to go back to check witnesses ~

Witnesses  - Samuel Roberts Hopkinson and Caroline Jones.
All signed.

All I'm getting before that is the one that married McKnight! Her father's occ on those  was variable
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***