Author Topic: Help needed with finding further information  (Read 837 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with finding further information
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 April 22 09:49 BST (UK) »

I doubt if you will ever be able to discover exactly when / where he fractured his femur. The pension card details certainly point towards his injury being in 1917 as his first pension was paid from 2 January 1918. We know for certain that he was serving on Tug Fylde in 1917 and possibly with the training ship. I have searched newspapers by using his name and also by including Tug Fylde / Fylde / Eaglet / Eagle / training ship but nothing comes up.

I wish you well in your search and please post anything that you may find.

Allan
[/quote]

Thank you so much again Allan. I'll post anything I unearth. So kind of you to do a quick paper search too.
M

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with finding further information
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 20:13 BST (UK) »
Allan,
 I did discover that the Fylde came under U boat attack on 16 Aug 1918 - U Boat net confirms it. It set me pondering - as record keeping was a bit sketchy etc, if WTK actually was on this boat. The family 'story' (and I am fully aware of heresay and escalating stories over the years!) is that he was injured late in the war by a U boat, possibly torpedoed.

Given the date of attack was 16 Aug - his pension (which already had 2 different dates to it!) was issued apparently on 1/6/18 - dates not dissimilar to  16...

I guess I'll never know for sure but I'm pleased to have got as far as I could with this one!

M