Author Topic: Brick Wall! - Nobles of Fylingdales / Whitby 18th c  (Read 182 times)

Offline ali.

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick Wall! - Nobles of Fylingdales / Whitby 18th c
« on: Tuesday 05 April 22 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've been researching this branch of my tree for years, and have always come up stumped when it comes to my 7th great grandfather - John Noble, and where on earth he came from, and was wondering if anyone can help. I'll drop all the info I have on the family below:

John Noble first appears at the baptism of his eldest daughter;
- Margery Noble bapt. 10 Apr 1748 in Fylingdales. Residence: Stoupe Brow
- Robert Noble bapt. 28 May 1749 in Fylingdales. Residence: not listed
- Elizabeth Noble jr bapt. 16 Sept 1750 in Fylingdales. Residence: Stoupe Brow
- John Noble jr bapt. 26 Jun 1757 in Fylingdales. Residence: Peak

- "Elizabeth wife of John Noble" is buried in Fylingdales 20 Apr 1760, residence: Stoupe Brow. She is certainly his wife. No age given.
- John Noble, labourer, is buried in Fylingdales 11 Mar 1788. Residence: Peak. Age 80 (b.1708). Certainly him.

Daughter Margery (1748) marries a William Macqueam/MacQueen of Whitby in Fylingdales on 30 Jan 1768.
I've found no record of the Macqueam/MacQueens or other variations in the area.

Son Robert (1749) is my direct ancestor and moves to the chapelry of Harwood Dale in the parish of Hackness, where he marries a widow Ann Cornforth on 21 May 1773. He dies in Hackness in 1812.

Daughter Elizabeth (1750) has an illegitimate daughter also named Elizabeth Noble bapt. 18 May 1777 in Fylingdales. “Elizabeth dau of Elizabeth Noble, Bastard - Peak.” Bishop's Transcripts give residence as either Poor Hook or Poor House.

Son John (1757) Marries Elizabeth Hutchinson in Fylingdales on 4 Jul 1780.
He has one known child, named Robert Noble born 28 Jun 1781 and bapt. in Fylingdales on 9 Sept 1781. "Robert son of John Noble (labourer) and Elizabeth."

Unsure what happens to Margery, Elizabeth and John after they respectfully each drop off the records in 1768, 1777 and 1781.

Where did John come from?
The Fylingdales parish records begin in 1653, but no record of a Noble exists in the parish before Margery's 1748 baptism (aside from a 1729 baptism of a Christopher son of Henry Noble, who's line I was able to trace back to Larpoole/Whitby. Unknown if he has any connection, but if he does it's unclear.)

John never marries or is baptised in Fylingdales. Fylingdales parish records list illegitimate children as "bastard" and Margery isn't listed that way, so I can assume John and Elizabeth married before 1748 - but can't find where.

Going off his age at death (b.1708) there's 2 John Nobles baptised in Whitby I think i'm able to rule out - but please do prove me wrong if so.
  • John Noble bapt.  6 Nov 1709 in Whitby son of John Noble (seems to be buried in Whitby 1724)
  • John Noble bapt. 7 Nov 1703 in Whitby son of George Noble (seems to be buried in Whitby 5 May 1706)

Though burial ages can be wildly inaccurate. There was a John Noble son of Mark bapt. in Whitby on 22 Sept 1695, but would make him 92 or 93 at death so could be highly unlikely. Can't rule it out entirely though.

Noble is a pretty significant name in Whitby in the 1600s, so my educated guess would be that they originate up that way, but if anyone could help me find the origins for this John Noble i'd be forever grateful!!!!

Ali
Noble, Bielby, Vipond - Scarborough/Whitby
Goodfellow - Shaftesbury/Cann, Dorset
Smyth, Kelly, Fearon, McAteer, Hughes - Armagh/Down