Author Topic: Finger length could determine risk of Covid hospitalisation  (Read 1064 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Finger length could determine risk of Covid hospitalisation
« on: Wednesday 06 April 22 11:07 BST (UK) »
An interesting article on the prognosis of individuals who catch Covid, based on finger length.

You have to hand it to them - to find a link. They must have thumbed through a lot of data.

Here is the article:
https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/finger-lengths-and-risk-covid-19-hospitalisation-2022a1000t6g

Essentially, the short version is that they looked at the ratio between the lengths of the fingers. The ratios give an indication of testosterone or oestrogen that was present as the body developed.

They appear to have found a link that is supported by the data. Looking at the ratio of the length of the index finger to the ring finger. The length of the little finger, and differences between the two hands.

Naturally there will be variations for individuals that will have a large bearing on outcome - so don't frighten yourself if you stare at your hands and start worrying.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finger length could determine risk of Covid hospitalisation
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 11:28 BST (UK) »
Two puns  in one sentence Trystan!  :)

You  have to hand it to them - to find a link. They must have thumbed through a lot of data.

N =154 seems rather a small sample.
Interesting hypothesis though.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 12:31 BST (UK) »
Well, Thumbs up to you for sharing it.
I'll be keeping their sleight of hand theories at arm's length  ;D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 22 16:15 BST (UK) »
I have fingers that keep changing lengths.  ;D

Hands out in front of me with palms down, my ring fingers are the 2nd longest

Hands out in front of me with palms upward, my forefingers are the 2nd longest.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke