Author Topic: Pykes, Pikes, Bucks, Lakes, Prices in my family tree  (Read 267 times)

Offline terrelljm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pykes, Pikes, Bucks, Lakes, Prices in my family tree
« on: Wednesday 06 April 22 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am very glad this forum exists, and thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply.

I am trying to confirm possible Romani ancestry. My grandfather, great-grand father and great-great grandfather were all of dark complexion, and the names Moore, Pyke, Pike, Lake, Buck, Gill and Price all feature in my father's side family tree. I have found all of these names in Romani surnames lists, and am aware that Price is well known. They are from Wales via Devon (Moore/Pyke/Pike/Gill/Lake), Somerset (Price) and Norfolk (Buck). There are also Lords, Middleages and Horners in there (as well as a number of unknown surnames). On the Moore/Lake side, they took the wife's name with the husband's name following e.g. Pyke Moore.

As for me, most people don't believe I am British due to olive skin and dark wavy hair. My sister also has olive skin and black wavy hair. Out of interest, my favourite place to be is in the woods, my office is in a tent, and I ended up with the picture and signature of the great Gipsy Rodney Smith in my living room!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Pykes, Pikes, Bucks, Lakes, Prices in my family tree
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 14:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Have you taken a DNA test?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline terrelljm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pykes, Pikes, Bucks, Lakes, Prices in my family tree
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 16:26 BST (UK) »
I have taken MyHeritage, which showed up English, Welsh/Scots/Irish, Scandinavian, Finnish and Italian. My GEDmatch Eurogenes however shows North Atlantic, Baltic, West Med, East Med, West Asia, Amerindian and South Asian.

I have a distant cousin on MyHeritage who is fully Saudi Arabian, and can think of his only possible link to Europe being through the Ottoman Empire. He had a relative from an area that the Ottomans occupied. I found out that Romani travelled with the Ottomans interestingly enough.