Author Topic: Photographs Llandudno Pier Engine Room  (Read 1348 times)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Photographs Llandudno Pier Engine Room
« on: Wednesday 06 April 22 19:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for any pictures of the ‘engine room’ which was used for electric power to the pier. A tree member took his own life in there in May 1905

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs Llandudno Pier Engine Room
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 20:09 BST (UK) »
You have me intruiged now.

You might find it in the book "Piers of Wales" by Martin Easdown (Link to Abebooks )

It would appear that the electricity room was a generator from Edison-Swan United Electric Lighting Company installed in 1889. That generator was replaced two years after your tree member took their own life. I wonder if the suicide had in some way damaged the generator?

So searching for it led me possibly to 18 electrical articles archived by a Polish University, which had the word Llandudno in them:

https://delibra.bg.polsl.pl/dlibra/results?q=llandudno&action=SimpleSearchAction&type=-6&p=0

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 20:25 BST (UK) »

Thank you I will take a look. There was gas involved in his death. I think that ran the generator. What I have been able to find out is that he had previously been injured in the plant which may have been a factor.

I will keep looking at the papers to see if there is an actual inquest report. Only ones I have seen are snippets in other papers. I would like to know if his wife and child had moved down there with him from the Leeds area. All are buried up there

You might find it in the book "Piers of Wales" by Martin Easdown (Link to Abebooks )

It would appear that the electricity room was a generator from Edison-Swan United Electric Lighting Company installed in 1889. That generator was replaced two years after your tree member took their own life. I wonder if the suicide had in some way damaged the generator?

So searching for it led me possibly to 18 electrical articles archived by a Polish University, which had the word Llandudno in them:

https://delibra.bg.polsl.pl/dlibra/results?q=llandudno&action=SimpleSearchAction&type=-6&p=0

Trystan

Offline mudmonster

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello have you tried wales newspapers online ,it is free to view

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this I will take a look

Hello have you tried wales newspapers online ,it is free to view

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 18:48 GMT (UK) »

Thank you I will take a look. There was gas involved in his death. I think that ran the generator. What I have been able to find out is that he had previously been injured in the plant which may have been a factor.

I will keep looking at the papers to see if there is an actual inquest report. Only ones I have seen are snippets in other papers. I would like to know if his wife and child had moved down there with him from the Leeds area. All are buried up there

Trystan

Welshnewspapers - see the "Welsh Coast Pioneer and Review for North Cambria, 14 May 1908". NOTE - it's 1908 NOT 1905.

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Liverpool Daily Post, 14 May 1908 has quite a full article on p. 8 from the inquest.

The widow Mrs Lillian Cameron was a witness and she and the daughter were condoled by the jury: so they must all have lived in Llandudno.
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Johnson (Wimborne, East Dorset)
Hopkins (Roxburgh., Yorks.)
Kidd (Westmoreland)
Lake (East Cambridgeshire)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 19:04 GMT (UK) »
If you search Welshnewspapers under -

"llandudno pier" in Search (include the "   " as part of search key), select "The Welsh Pioneer ...." as your newspaper and use slider bars to limit year to 1906 it should return 3 hits.
Check out "The Lighting of Llandudno Pier" - it gives the proposed location of the engine room.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 19:36 GMT (UK) »

Thank you will check that out

Liverpool Daily Post, 14 May 1908 has quite a full article on p. 8 from the inquest.

The widow Mrs Lillian Cameron was a witness and she and the daughter were condoled by the jury: so they must all have lived in Llandudno.